Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Unable to permanently delete files in Delete Files folder

Level 3

1. Larage files - say put up large folder say 10GB that is nested with even .git folder in it - 

2. If you try to delete this on web - will fail need to go down nested and delete parts. 

3. then go to Deleted folder and try to permanently delete that large folder will fail cause too many files - so prevents you from permanently files. 

4. I delete over 800GB of folder and files but now am unable to permanently delete these files . 

Solution - Either create a button to say delete all my file permanently and if you worried people will click this by mistake make a word verification or something

Then when they click this it put in cron or flags for server deletion . Problem solved. With out this - your cloud is useless for Business where private files must be permanently deleted . 

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: Unable to permanently delete files in Delete Files folder

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, if you receive the error that there are too many files to delete, then as you discovered, you'll need to navigate deeper into the folder structure and delete smaller subfolders or files.

With smaller batches, then you might be able to permanently delete the files from the account via the deleted files page.

Regarding the suggestion of the button, while we do already have one on the deleted files page for specific files, I’ll forward this idea for another button to permanently delete all files to our dev team for the consideration in future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Jay, 

You are hired with over millions files and sub folder you can sit there for days and do this for me but no way will I do this . This solution might be fine if you have not that many files . But we have over 3 TB of files in the trash and millions of files and folder . No way have the time for this or should any company expect you to do it this way 

But thanks for the suggestion 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
If you’re on a Dropbox Business plan, then the files should automatically be permanently deleted after 120 days. 

If this isn’t the case, you might have an older Business plan with unlimited version history. Are you able to restore files older than 120 days?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Thanks Jay - I think I am on the older business plan - even if I wasn't - A Business Plan should have option to set this to sooner or later as a setting. Sometimes Business sensitive material needs to be erased sooner due to client wishes ,etc . 

Thanks again for you help - crossing fingers that we can get an easier way to permanently delete at will . 

R

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Unable to permanently delete files in Delete Files folder
4 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post