Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

21 Comments
0 Likes
Highlighted
Dropboxer

Experimental Build 3.9.32

Hi everyone! We’ve got a new experimental build for you before the weekend! This build starts rolling out a bunch of new experimental features in the 3.9 series.

New in this build:

• Easily move files into Dropbox with the Badge [this option appears on saving a file, and is being rolled out to a subset of users]
  • Now, for shared files, the Badge notifies you if your collaborators made changes since the last time you opened the file [this is being rolled out to a subset of users]
  • [Windows] The view comments context menu option in File Explorer now opens a dedicated comments window instead of taking you to the Dropbox website.
  • [Windows] New onboarding after signing into an account during a new install.
  • Minor bug fixes.

New in the 3.9 series:

• Improved network utilization on downloads for fast internet connections.
  • More hiding options for the Badge - now you can hide with a click for one window. To bring it back, simply reopen the file.
  • Easily move files into Dropbox with the Badge [this option appears on saving a file, and is being rolled out to a subset of users]
  • Now, for shared files, the Badge notifies you if your collaborators made changes since the last time you opened the file [this is being rolled out to a subset of users]
  • [Windows] The view comments context menu option in File Explorer now opens a dedicated comments window instead of taking you to the Dropbox website.
  • [Windows] New onboarding after signing into an account during a new install.
  • Sign into dropbox.com when you’re signed into the desktop client. (1)
  • Upgraded to Python 2.7.10.
  • Many small fixes and improvements.
  • Fix issues with inconsistent LAN sync performance.

Notes

1. When running this desktop client, if you go to www.dropbox.com/login and you’re not signed in on the website you’ll see the option to sign into your account by clicking “Continue as <your name>".

Edit: There is a newer forum build than this one.

Download

Windows [ Standard installer] [ Offline installer]

Mac OS X [ Standard installer] [ Offline installer]

Linux [ x86_64 offline installer] [ x86 offline installer]

21 Replies
Super User II

Re: Experimental Build 3.9.32

I saw this article title and went to check my version. It was v3.9.31. I read the article and go to download the offline installer, and right then Dropbox restarts from the auto-update. Perfect timing. slightly smiling face

Oh, and, FIRST! (are we starting that again?)

Super User II

The auto update has broken my Dropbox :(

It is stuck on 'Starting'

Reboots etc. arent helping. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer

Hi Mark - Our support team will reach out to you offline to keep troubleshooting. Also, quick qn: is your client able to connect to the network at all? For example, is it able to sync up/down any files? (just making sure it's not just a tray status issue)

Level 5

Sorry guys, the problems with LAN sync still seems to still be happening. Works if I uncap the bandwidth but its still treating the local machines like they are syncing from the internet. As soon as I put a cap on the bandwidth speed vanishes again. Nothing comes up saying "Lan sync" like it used to prior to 3.6 :-(

Level 2

Possibly Ubuntu is now properly supported, but the other supported distro (Fedora) is still not working out of the box with KDE/Plasma5. Although Dropbox say they don't officially support KDE/Plasma5, the new versions are using Qt technology, so it shouldn't be that hard for them to make it work! slightly smiling face But it doesn't out of the box for most people. :-(

There is another major bug, namely that the option to start automatically does absolutely nothing! (This despite that being a VERY easy standards based thing to do!)

I'm reposting this workaround for both of these bugs. This works for me on Fedora 22 (an officially supported distro!). It might not work for you on your distro, but until it's fixed properly by dropbox, it's worth giving a try. Should you wish to undo the changes, simply delete the ~/.config/autostart/dropbox.desktop file and reinstall the latest release candidate.

Dropboxers: it would be wonderful if you could actually make the "start dropbox automatically" preference create/delete the ~/.config/autostart/dropbox.desktop as appropriate. It's rather disconcerting to have a preference that claims to do so, but doesn't!

So here's the fix. YMMV. (This also replaces the icons with ones that look nicer!)

Tray icon still doesn't work "out of the box" here on Fedora 22 (x86_64). To get the system tray working, and to also workaround the fact that the setting to start dropbox automatically does absolutely nothing:

Create the file $HOME/bin/dropboxLaunch with the following contents:

#!/bin/bash  
version=`cat $HOME/.dropbox-dist/VERSION`  
installdir=$HOME/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-$version  
rm $installdir/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so  
rm $installdir/libQt5*  
rm $installdir/qt.conf    
if [ -d $installdir/newicons ];  
then  
        echo "Icons already patched"  
else  
       mkdir $installdir/newicons  
       cd $installdir/newicons  
       wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62148/Misc/Dropbox%20Notification%20Icons.tar.gz -O icons.tgz  
       tar xvf icons.tgz  
       cp "./Dropbox Notification Icons/Light panel/icons/blank.png" ../images/hicolor/16x16/status/dropboxstatus-blank.png  
       cp "./Dropbox Notification Icons/Light panel/icons/busy2.png" ../images/hicolor/16x16/status/dropboxstatus-busy2.png  
       cp "./Dropbox Notification Icons/Light panel/icons/logo.png" ../images/hicolor/16x16/status/dropboxstatus-logo.png  
       cp "./Dropbox Notification Icons/Light panel/icons/busy.png" ../images/hicolor/16x16/status/dropboxstatus-busy.png  
       cp "./Dropbox Notification Icons/Light panel/icons/x.png" ../images/hicolor/16x16/status/dropboxstatus-x.png  
       cp "./Dropbox Notification Icons/Light panel/icons/idle.png" ../images/hicolor/16x16/status/dropboxstatus-idle.png  
fi
DROPBOX="/home/nicholas/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd"  
ionice -c 3 $DROPBOX start -i &` 

Make it executable. In a terminal/konsole, type:

chmod +x ~/bin/dropboxLaunch

Create the file ~/.config/autostart/dropbox.desktop containing the following:

[Desktop Entry]  
Exec=$HOME/bin/dropboxLaunch  
Icon=exec  
Name[en\_US]=DropboxLaunch  
Name=DropboxLaunch  
StartupNotify=true  
Terminal=false  
Type=Application

That's it. If you close dropbox and then run it using the newly created script (or simply log out and in again!), Dropbox will appear in the system tray!

There are some other bugs that this workaround doesn't fix:

• The tray icon is still very fuzzy, as if it has been scaled up from a very small bitmap.
  • Hovering over the tray icon also doesn't show a tooltip expressing the current state - it just says "dropbox".

Otherwise (in terms of actual syncing!), it still works as expected. slightly smiling face

Note, when dropbox autoupdates, you'll have to close it down and start it up again using the new scripts we just made to get it to show in the system tray again. As a side-benefit, you'll know when you've been auto-updated... because the system will stop working properly again! slightly smiling face

Super User

Has anyone figured out the incantation for LAN Sync? I've got a 100GB+ Dropbox that will be doing a full re-sync and I'd like to avoid downloading all of it over the 'net. 

There are two other machines that have the same content, so at least in theory, this should be an ideal scenario for LAN Sync, but when one of the others got reinstalled, it looks like virtually all of it came from Dropbox's servers based on the time it took and the amount of data transferred.

Super User

Or, for anyone who has LAN Sync working, what do I need to do? Upgrade just the "receiving" to 3.9, or the "sending" machine as well? Turn off rate limiting? Anything else?

Level 5

I've had varied success with turning off the limits and having lan sync ticked. You need to check the traffic to see where its pulling from as the client doesn't show it.

Super User

Did it 3.8.x vs 3.9.x make a difference? The new machine will run the latest forum beta, but I'd prefer to keep the machine which is not being reinstalled less bleeding-edge.

However, if it comes down it it, I'll upgrade both to forum builds and let the other machine settle down once the 3.9 series hits public release, better that than wait for everything to sync from Dropbox's servers.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post