Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues - updated Aug 20th see more

New Versioning Scheme

19 Comments
258 Kudos
Level 1

Re: New Versioning Scheme

Really upset that there is no longer a changelog, I really liked to see what has changed with dropbox rather then finding it out for myself... If they don't change their scheme soon I will be switching to Google Drive.

Level 1

Funny how only bad habits tend to trend.

microsoft thinks flat is cool, everyone follows...

facebook thinks there's no use telling users what changed, lo and behold, everyone follows as well...

We'd like to know what's changing, that way can know if the update is good or bad for us... Since each case is different and each user has different needs.

Level 10

while chrome has a similar numbering, changelogs still exist with chrome 

Level 1

Personally I hated it when both Firefox and Chrome started escalating their version numbers. I think most of the software dev world understood the X.Y.Z format of major release - minor release - bugfix. Was that so bad? Seems now that everyone feels inferior if their version is not at 35 or 40; keeping up with the Joneses and all that. At the end of the day, do whatever you want -- just don't fsck up the product.

Level 1

So x.Y.z with Y only ever showing up as 3 or 4 as its beta(3)/stable(4)

So the current "stable" release is "4.4.29" and a later beta release would be "4.3.30" 

I guess this makes sense in that any new "stable" release will super seed number wise any beta release, but since the list of releases says the "Testing" Beta? builds are at 5.3.20 Just what does that mean?

Testing/Beta are a new release series? Since 5 is a new series.

I dont actually see why its not X.Z.Y as Series > Build > Version(beta/release) is how you are meant to do it.

Level 1

I like it

Level 1

There is no changelog for the simple reason that nothing really changed. Just marketing soup.

Level 2

I think whats basically been done is the leading version number has effectively been dropped. In other words, currently at 10.4.25 means we are at version 1.10.4.25. Since there are no new features or major revisions or rewrites we will always be on 1.x.x.x. 

Since the client is free, there is no reason for a major version number akin to Windows 7, 8, 9 (8.1), 10 where you own a particular version. Yes windows messed up the internal version numbers with windows 4 (95) and 4.5 or 3.5 (NT).

Level 1

Talk about confusing. Semver is pretty easy to understand. Not sure why that isn't used. And please bring back real changelogs

Level 1

Bring back the useful changelogs!

Still stuck? Contact Support directly, or ask a question on the community.
Still stuck?
Top Contributors
Rich 4385
Mark 3682
Jane 1196
Sanchez 976
Greg K. 889