33 Comments
23 Kudos
Highlighted
Dropboxer

Stable Build 3.10.11

Edit: There is a newer stable build.

Happy Thursday!

New in 3.10.11

• Fixes rare error that causes Dropbox to fail to start with "Couldn't start Dropbox" dialog.

New in the 3.10 series:

• Improved network utilization on downloads for fast internet connections.
  • More hiding options for the Badge - now you can hide with a click for one window. To bring it back, simply reopen the file.
  • Easily move files into Dropbox with the Badge [this option appears on saving a file, and is being rolled out to a subset of users]
  • Now, for shared files, the Badge notifies you if your collaborators made changes since the last time you opened the file [this is being rolled out to a subset of users]
  • [Windows] The view comments context menu option in File Explorer now opens a dedicated comments window instead of taking you to the Dropbox website.
  • [Windows] New onboarding after signing into an account during a new install.
  • Sign into dropbox.com when you’re signed into the desktop client. (1)
  • Fixed issue syncing files with certain versions of AutoCAD.
  • Upgraded to Python 2.7.10.
  • Many small fixes and improvements.
  • Fix issues with inconsistent LAN sync performance.

Notes:

1. When running this desktop client, if you go to www.dropbox.com/login and you’re not signed in on the website you’ll see the option to sign into your account by clicking “Continue as <your name>".

Download

Windows [Standard installer] [Offline installer]

Mac OS X [Standard installer] [Offline installer]

Linux [x86_64 offline installer] [x86 offline installer]

33 Replies
Level 2

Re: Stable Build 3.10.11

For me on Fedora 23, Plasma 5.4.2, with the xembedsniproxy workaround disabled (as it should be!), things are still broken.

Hence, I'd like to report that basic syncing is still working fine on linux. Sadly still no fixes for the major linux bugs (including autostart functionality!) that have gone neglected for many months now :-( So sad that relatively minor fixes just don't get any attention... It's now more than 276 days without the issue being fixed - and that's only since the new forums only go back that far!

Level 1

Usual problems with a black box around the icon under XFCE although it does seem to disappear less often when logging out and logging back in lately.

I'm using a workaround which works nicely with nvidia proprietary drivers.

1. Go to the .dropbox.dist folder in the /home directory and delete or rename libGL.so.1

2. Create a symlink to the libGL.so.1 file in the nvidia driver directory. Do this by opening a terminal in the folder containing libGL.so.1 and typing:

ln -sf /usr/lib/nvidia-346-updates/libGL.so.1 libGL.so.1

Obviously substitute "346-updates" with whatever version of the driver you're using.

3. Logout & login.

Sadly this has to be repeated with each update of the dropbox software. I can't believe this major problem has been essentially ignored for almost a whole year.

Level 2

@Adrian S. - Interesting. Unfortunately, doesn't make a difference under xembedsniproxy using the intel driver (obviously changing the symlink etc!)

I guess it's just a case of keeping on bugging dropbox until they do the right thing!

Level 2

While using Virtual Servers (Windows Server 2012, and Windows 7) that are running all the time, Dropbox client randomly exits without notification. C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\CrashReports folder is empty.

If I happen to notice the client is not running, I can manually run it and it will update all the files that I have changed locally. The current fix for this is to set up a scheduled task (similar to a cron job) to automatically run the client app once a day, with options to not run if already running.

Level 1

Shaun H.  one warning on that, the DB windows client can fail and remain loaded also.

We resolved this, but forcing it to close and restarting it, on a task at around 3am.

Level 2

This version of Dropbox on Mac El Capitan randomly crashes and the Dropbox icon is removed from my top bar.  All files become static until I run Dropbox again and it syncs and leaves the icon on the top bar for a while before disappearing again.  

Don't know what triggers the crash and don't ever see any message or pop-up, but the icon simply disappears.  Maybe after I return from sleep?  I think I saw another person report something similar.  

This is a frustrating bug because you never know if Dropbox is running or not and files get old without knowing.  Setting a calendar reminder to "check dropbox crash" and having to manually sync this way every hour defeats the purpose of having dropbox in the first place, right?

Level 2

Update on my crashing issue, also crashing on Ubuntu 14.x (using Wine).

Dropboxer

Hi Greg A.

Can you try the latest experimental version here. It should fix the crashing on El Capitan.

Level 2

Thanks for the link to that Brandon.  I will try it now and see what happens when I return to the machine later tonight and also tomorrow morning.