cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Did you know you can get an answer in less than 2 hours? Try asking a question now!
57 Comments
9 Likes
Level 3

Need a refund for an accidental charge

I did not know that I was using a business account. Today I paid $ 1200. I am just a student. It would be too harsh for me to pay the five-year amount and 5 licenses. The money was money for the school life, and it was all the money. I made a request for a refund by chat support, but chat was thrown down as my account was downgraded. I wonder if I have been given a refund. Please save me.

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Dropboxer

Re: I'd like a refund for an accidental charge for a Dropbox Business account.

I’ve moved all refund queries into one thread to make it easier for people to see this in future.

Generally these charges are from the automatic upgrade at the end of a 30 day Dropbox Business trial. When you first setup the trial, you did enter your payment information at that time, with the agreement that it would charge the card when the trial ends.

If the trial isn’t cancelled fully prior to the end of the 30 day, the transaction goes through, which is when you’ll see it on your payment method. You’re reminded of the days remaining on the free trial from the banner at the top of the page when you login to the site.

If you’re still on a Dropbox Business trial, and want to cancel the trial to prevent it from taking payment, follow the steps here when you’re signed into the team admin’s account. 

Please note that you’ll need to follow the instructions on the next 3 pages to fully downgrade from the trial and any future paid renewal.

If you’re on a Plus or Professional trial, you can downgrade your plan at this link

For anyone else who has already incurred a charge, we do state clearly that refunds are only offered when legally required, for both Business and Individual users. More information can be found on those links.

However, we always recommend contacting our support team as soon as possible via email here, with any details you can provide about the charge. Since we can’t handle private billing information on the forum for obvious reasons, we can only redirect you to email communication.

To speed things up, if you have the 12 digit transaction ID as it appears on your card statement, please enter that in the email. An example of this can be found here:

Screenshot 2018-07-09 at 19.45.39.png

For PayPal purchases, use the transaction ID here:

PayPal_transaction_ID.png

Make sure you’re not entering the Billing ID, which is unrelated, and refers to the internal PayPal billing cycle (i.e. the renewal of the subscription to Dropbox).

Hopefully this information should help any users on how to proceed from here on. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

57 Replies
Level 2

Dropbox Business Cancel and Refund - urgent

Hi,

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this. About a month ago a visiting academic at the university where I work wanted to share a large file with me. He suggested we upgrade to Dropbox Business to share the file and then cancel the upgrade. I did this, downloaded the file, but then was unable to follow the instructions to cancel the upgrade as the link I was directed to wasn't there. I then got busy and forgot all about it, as I knew I had a month to do it in. I went to the supermarket last night to buy groceries for $14 Aus and my card was declined. Dropbox had taken out $1050 when there was only $300 in the account! My bank contacted me as it was obvious that I could not afford this, and they will be disputing the transaction. I am a single mother. I do not have a business or need a Dropbox Business account. I haven't used Dropbox since I downloaded the file one month ago. I think I cancelled my upgrade as soon as I found out this had happened (so the same day) but I do not find any of the instructions intuitive and I don't know if I have cancelled it or not. Can someone from Dropbox please check?! I NO LONGER WANT ANY DROPBOX ACCOUNT OR ANY FILES I HAVE THERE. I never use it. My work has plenty of ways to share files but the visiting academic could not log in to our systems. He is senior to me and I didn't feel I could say no to his suggestion. I thought it would be easy. I checked and I did receive an email about the payment last week, but it went to my gmail which I never use. I had tried to set up the upgrade with my other email address but could not get it to work.

Can someone please help me with this? My account is now $700 overdrawn and I can't buy food! I have been advised that I am entitled to a refund under the Australian Competition and Consumer Act 2010. I have lodged a ticket - 8011670. This is urgent for me as I really can't afford this.

Super User II

Re: Dropbox Business Cancel and Refund - urgent

I'm afraid nobody here can help. You need to wait for Dropbox to respond which can take a few days. Tickets can be tracked at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

Ultimately there is NOTHING that your bank can dispute because, as you have admitted yourself, you did join you just didnt cancel it. They did also warn you that they were going to take out the payment, again, you just didnt check the emails. You, therefore, are legally liable for those charges.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

Hello, 

I also am in the exact same situation.

My account has gone into negative and I am late for paying rent this month about to lose my home.

Paypal states 

"If you have a problem with a PayPal charge to your Dropbox account, including: 1. Unexpected or unwanted auto-renewal. 2. Selected wrong plan. 3. Unknown charge. 4. Strange charge/refund pattern each month. 5. General refund request. -- then please file a ticket at https://www.dropbox.com/ticket or email support@dropbox.com -- Be sure to include your Dropbox email and, if possible, the PayPal Transaction ID for the charge in question. Dropbox can refund any PayPal charges within 60 days of the charge. Filing an actual PayPal dispute may delay your refund if PayPal chooses to freeze the payment. General Dropbox help can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/help - Otherwise, please help request: https://www.dropbox.com/ticket Thank you! Dropbox"

Thus Drop Box can refund preapproved payments for unwanted auto-renewal as we are requestinog for our refunds within 60 days of charge. 

However, their phone line is non-existent as I tried to call and it was dead, and their support chat is closed so there is literally no way of reaching there.

Super User II

Support isnt available 247 naturelover1234 unless you are a Corporate customer.

You need to log a ticket as has been stated by PayPal and then wait for a reply.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. Under Australian Consumer Law, insisting that someone pay twelve months in advance for a service they didn't want, don't need, won't use and can't afford is inequitable and unethical, and this would be deemed an unfair contract. I have admitted to making a mistake, but to enforce this contract and cause hardship in this was would be unconscionable. My bank have got involved as it was obvious from my financial situation that I did not intend to make this payment.

Are you paid by Dropbox to discourage people from trying to obtain refunds?

Level 2

I am really sorry to hear of your situation. I did not make the payment via Paypal. 60 days seems like a ridiculous amount of time to wait for a refund. I too am very disappointed that there appears to be no way of contacting Dropbox via telephone.

Dropboxer

Hey there @marie10 and @naturelover1234 - Welcome to the Dropbox Forum!

I am sorry to hear about this cumbersome situation and I'd be really glad to help with this. 

@marie10 Thanks for providing the ticket's ID - I have reached out to you via that email. You can check your inbox at your earliest convenience so we can take it from there if needed. 

@naturelover1234 - I ran a small search on our system and was able to locate your existing ticket and replied to you there with more account specific information. You can get back to me directly by replying to that email. 

I hope this helps and have a great week ahead folks!

Walter

Highlighted
Level 2

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and for your help. I hope you have a great week ahead too!

Dropboxer

Glad I could help @marie10

Thanks for using Dropbox and enjoy the rest of your day! smiling face with sunglasses

Walter

Common Community Questions

Welcome! If you have a question about Dropbox, you’re in the right place

Post your question or search for an answer, the community is here to help

Not looking for support? Explore other features of Dropbox

Learn more about the community