cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: A Veracrypt file isn't synced correctly

A Veracrypt file isn't synced correctly

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

a file of mine a veracrypt file isnt synced right. look the foto , i downloaded the file to test if everything is ok in it and i found out that it isnt. also everytime i dismount veracrypt file dropbox doesnt sync! look foto. why suddently dropbox doesnt use deltasync to sync my file?t.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

i think i found the solution, it was an option at veracrypt program saying "preserve modification time stamps of file containers" should be unchecked from now on for some reason, have u come up with anything this is important

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @andreas781, thanks for reaching out to our Community.

How was this file added to your Dropbox in the first place, did you use a third party app or API? 

Or did you just move it into the Dropbox folder?

The second screenshot is of the file after you downloaded it from our website?

Any additional info on how you use Veracrypt with Dropbox, would be really useful.

Thanks.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

hallo! thnx for helping me it is very important for me to have my personal files on the cloud, the best there is dropbox so....

1) i always use dropbox desktop app to make things. Not sure what u mean here when i first installed dropbox then i put into the local folder of my PC a veracrypt encrypted file (called PerW). then it started syncing. it finished (after many hours cause it was 9GB) and for many time i think until recently some months now it worked.

2) The second screenshot is of the file after i downloaded it from your website YES! just for testing purposes (open, mounted)

3) Now veracrypt is working with dropbox with this way: When i locally open (temporarilly decrypt) the veracrypt file (which i repeat its encrypted by me) i mount it (create) a virtual drive that contains everything my veracrypt file contains so that i can process it. after processing it, for example make a change in a word document, or a txt etc nothing yet happens with dropbox. WHEN i dismount (close the virtual drive, encypt it again) the veracrypt file of mine THEN and ONLY THEN dropbox uses deltasync to sync the changes made to that huge file of mine of 9GB. so it takes a little time to finish (it doesnt reupload 9 GB i mean)

so what u see in screenshot is on the left side a W:\ drive (this is the local unencypted virtual drive) and on the right side the veracrypt file i downoloaded from internet to my desktop to open it to see whats in it. i mounted it on U:\ drive for example, could be any letter. and the files inside where much less than my local veracrypt file. then i had a heart attack so i wrote here to find out why and how to prevent this from happening again

all started when i noticed that when i closed (dismount) a veracypt file the dropbox did NOT sync anything (the icon on taskbar was like nothing happens, didnt have the sync icon next to it)

thats all i hope i helped if u need something else tell me to write for you. right now the only thing i am thinking to do is to reupload the whole file (9GB), but thats the whole volume, files inside are less until they reach 9GB (which is maximum set filesize for veracrypt file, this is how veracrypt works)

also i need to say that i have done this test to far past time and it worked ok. the file that i have uploaded is called PerW (without any extention indicating its a veracrypt file , doesnt need one i have deleted it for security reasons)

..............something last when i tried to download the file from dropbox with chrome or firefox both stopped the download and i couldnt resume. i used jdownloader to manage to download it.. maybe something has to do with download banwidth of dropbox or something per file?

thank you!

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

i think i found the solution, it was an option at veracrypt program saying "preserve modification time stamps of file containers" should be unchecked from now on for some reason, have u come up with anything this is important

John1414
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Facing almost the Same problem, looking forward to more solutions.

Need more support?