cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparent recent changes in how Drop box works

Apparent recent changes in how Drop box works

Gershon1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I could always email a Drop box link of my recorded lecture to my students and they would just download it and save it wherever they wanted. They did not need to have a Dropbox account. I just discovered that after clicking the link they need to open it in Dropbox.

They can then listen to it but cannot save it in a folder of their choice, if it is not in Drop box. 

Eventually it said it saved it in my Drop box public folder, however, when I clicked on the public folder it was not there.

It also seems I need to sign up and pay some money, whereas I have had a free account for over 10 years. It should not be necessary to sign in to Drop box to access a file. I want files stored where I want not where Drop box wants.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Gershon1 wrote:

I could always email a Drop box link of my recorded lecture to my students and they would just download it and save it wherever they wanted. They did not need to have a Dropbox account.

Nothing has changed in how view-only shared links work. A recipient might get promoted to create an account but it's an optional step. They should be able to just close that modal and continue to the file. Dropbox also can't control where someone saves a file that they're downloading. Their browser controls that. Even if the person has a Dropbox account and uses the Save to Dropbox option, they can still select any folder that they want in their Dropbox, or they can just click the Download button and save it anywhere on their computer.

If the link you're sending provides edit access, then a Dropbox account is required. Make sure you're creating a view-only shared link.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Gershon1 wrote:

I could always email a Drop box link of my recorded lecture to my students and they would just download it and save it wherever they wanted. They did not need to have a Dropbox account.

Nothing has changed in how view-only shared links work. A recipient might get promoted to create an account but it's an optional step. They should be able to just close that modal and continue to the file. Dropbox also can't control where someone saves a file that they're downloading. Their browser controls that. Even if the person has a Dropbox account and uses the Save to Dropbox option, they can still select any folder that they want in their Dropbox, or they can just click the Download button and save it anywhere on their computer.

If the link you're sending provides edit access, then a Dropbox account is required. Make sure you're creating a view-only shared link.

Gershon1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks Rich.

What you suggested is what always worked. I tried it earlier today when to did not work that way, which prompted me to consult the Drop box community.

I did then try the download, but the popup menu to ask whether I want to 'open' or 'save as' the file never showed up.

However, using your advice just now that pop up menu did show this time. Problem solved.

Cheers,

George Goldsteen

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Gershon1 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?