cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backed up files/folders can no longer be shared

Backed up files/folders can no longer be shared

wuthelotus
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I'm using Dropbox on a Mac with Monterey. I have everything backed up to Dropbox & until today I was able to share files & folders simply by clicking on "copy Dropbox link". Today this feature is no longer available. I've tried sharing from the Dropbox website & there is no sharing option there either. I've noticed that backed up files now have their own category & apparently sharing doesn't work there.

Can you help me figure this out, please? The backup option was the main reason why I was using Dropbox in the first place, so this is kind of a dealbreaker for me.

Thanks,

Alina

20 Replies 20

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @wuthelotus, thanks for letting us know about this. 

Can you please send me a couple of screenshots, so I can look into this?

One from the right click options of a backed up file in the Dropbox folder and one from the options online.

Thanks in advance!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wuthelotus
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for responding. Here are the screenshots you requested.

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 14.20.02.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-12 at 14.20.50.png

Things I've tried, with no success:

- restarting Dropbox

- restarting Finder

- restarting the computer

- restarting the computer in Safe Mode

Alina

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @wuthelotus, thanks for the screenshots.

Currently, it isn't possible to share files or folders in a backup, for your own security and privacy. 

If you want to share files, you'll need to move or copy them to a folder outside of the Backup elsewhere on your Dropbox account.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wuthelotus
Helpful | Level 6
Hi Jay,

What I don’t understand is why this option, which you say is impossible to have for backed up files & folders, was working just fine until literally yesterday & is still working for other people I know who use Dropbox. The only explanation I can come up with is that this is a new feature that has somehow become functional for me before other users. If so, I can’t understand why you wouldn’t announce such a massive change, in any way whatsoever, to your paying customers. It’s an important change and, for me personally, a dealbreaker. The main reason I chose Dropbox over other similar services was that I could keep my files & folders in their native locations (Documents, Downloads etc.) & they would still be synced up with Dropbox & accessible on all my devices. I have no interest in keeping everything I work on in a generic Dropbox folder, I want to use the document structure of my computer. Which, I repeat, I was able to do until yesterday.

I would like to understand when this change has been made & if there are any plans to reenable sharing for files & folders set up via backup. If not, I will reconsider my Dropbox subscription.

Thank you.

Alina

Maxbee
Helpful | Level 6

I have the same Problem! Sharing was working fine until it was not anymore. And i have no idea why. Very annoying. Pease Dropbox, explain what happened to this feature!

wuthelotus
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Maxbee. Since I made this post they've also replied to me via email, and it seems as if this feature was planned (secretly, I guess) and is here to stay. They claim people were misusing the sharing feature with files that were private, sensitive, whatever. It sounds like bull to me, honestly, and even if it were true I don't understand why everyone else has to suffer because some people don't know how to use the internet. Also, the fact that they couldn't be bothered to announce what is, IMO, a huge change in how backup works, is disappointing to say the least.

I've looked into alternatives and Sync.com looks really promising, I just haven't had the patience to move everything over from Dropbox yet. But I'm really not happy with how they handled this, so I'm definitely exploring other options.

danbett
Helpful | Level 7

I have the same problem and with no warning, I have posted on a couple of different subjects as I really need this feature re-enabled. I also can't believe that they did this with no waring whatsoever. I pay a couple of hundred pounds a year for pro version etc.. and use it in exactly the same way as you do and now.......

Dropbox, please re-enable this feature using a checkbox (with a big fat warning if you must) as it really is a dealbreaker

thanks

Dan

Maxbee
Helpful | Level 6

hey @wuthelotus,

thanks for the information, I had no idea! I mean, come on @Dropbox. This was such a big feature. You cannot secretly take this away from us users and dont say a word just because some dump people misused it. Please bring it back asap...

And thanks @wuthelotus, I will have a look into sync.com

Maxbee
Helpful | Level 6

Hi ya all 🙂

If you want, ask dropbox here https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-149-3-4541/m-p/596935#M6915  to bring this feature back. Maybe if enough people request we have a chance...

best!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mbz bln Helpful | Level 5
    wuthelotus Helpful | Level 6
    12874638 Helpful | Level 5
    Maxbee Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?