cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Android App doesn't always upload pictures (bug).

Camera Uploads Stopped Working in Official Android 13

DoctrSuSE
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The automatic Camera Upload feature has been working fine throughout the Android 13 beta.  A13 stable was officially released recently and Camera Upload is no longer working.  No error or anything, just never uploads.

Pixel 6 Pro

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @DoctrSuSE, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try uninstalling the app, rebooting the device, and re-installing it to see if this helps?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @DoctrSuSE, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try uninstalling the app, rebooting the device, and re-installing it to see if this helps?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

finnstru
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Some years ago after taking a picture with my Huawei P30 pro, the dropbox app always added that picture to the dropbox Camera Uploads folder, so I could access my pictures on my PC without having to do anything. ....... And that's the main feature reason why I still have Dropbox. ........... But the recent year or so, that has not always been working. ..... Sometimes it helps to re-start the phone (often did fix it). ..... One time I disabled the feature and enabled it again, and then it was working. .......... But now recently, none of that cured it (I had to manually select the last week for upload, not at all what I want). ...... Is this a bug with dropbox introduced a year or two ago ?,.......... or is it Android power save functionality preventing the function from working as it should. .... I have no idea. ............ Typically it has been working fine for for instance a week ago and later, but the recent photos is not showing up in the dropbox app, for some obscure reason. ........ Simply starting/opening the app has cured the problem on occasions, but also that is not what I want.  This should be done (as it was before) silently in the background, and I should not even be aware it's happening. .... It should be like magic 🙂 .............. Why do I have this problem ?. ......... My phone is not rooted, nor does it have anything special, and it's up to date. ..........

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @finnstru, how are you today?

What is the version of the OS you're using on your end, and what about the Dropbox version installed there? 

Could you please check if toggling the camera uploads option off-on makes a difference at all? 

Does the app stop uploading the images when it is in the background, when the phone is charging, or left alone for a specific period of time?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

finnstru
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

App version is 312.2.2 ..............  Phone is VOG-L29  EMUI is 12.0.0 Kernel is 4.14.116 .... Appstore is offering to "Open" dropbox (not to upgrade). ... The camera app is the one that came with the phone and has version 11.1.4.335 (P30 Pro).  (No permissions denied). ........... I probably have configured the phone to put pictures and videos on the additional SSD card. ............ The phone says the software is up to date. ........... Just took a selfie now, then opend the dropbox app and went to Camera Uploads (the folder).  Nothing showing up. ....... In the dropboc app, under settings, Camera uploads are "On", and below there Backu up... is All my photos .... and Continuous camera uploads are also "On" (Only use cellular to back up is off).   Dropbox is currently 98.1% full (meaning it's about time to remove som videos from the Camera uploads folder). ........... Turning camera uploads off and then on again, and still nothing happens.  Going to the camera app and viewing the pic, and back again, and nothing happens. ..... I just got a pop up that a video was uploaded to my dropbox (for sure from my camera) (could meen it's been bussy with that). .......... Going to the Camera Uploads folder on my PC (not on the phone any more), I can see two videos are in progress of uploading (I didn't record videos for a day now).  Meaning it's about to get too full.  Yes I now get a full message on both PC and phone. .... On my PC I "cut" the *.mp4 files from the Camera uploads folder, and past them to a Network computer connected USB disk that we have for that purpose. ..... That should free up most of my Dropbox space (and has always been working). .... Back to dropbox app on my phone again. ......... Njeet,..... that last selfie is still not showing up. ..... Restarting the phone. ........... (Dropbox on myPC just told me I added 2 files, do'no why, but probably has a natural explanation). ........ Back into Dropbox app again. ........... Neeee, still no selfie. ................. (In Camera Uploads). ..... Uuuups, my phone is on the neighbours WLAN, that normally never happens,......... but even so, should work,........ Back on normal WLAN again. .... Going to Upload, and the selfie is there, but before it would have started uploading on its own, without me having to ask for it. ........ I don't want to do anything at all, it should happen automatically as it did before. .......... Before this problem was only now and then and usually solved with a re-start. ....... Now it seems to be persistent. ............ Uninstalling the Dropbox app. ..... Going to playstore and installing it again. ........... Open. .... Signing in. ...... Hmmmm,... now it thinks I have too many devices. Yep, my phone was now twice, so removed the previous instance of it. ..... Selecting to backup all photos when asked. ..... Everything is still there, but still not the last selfie 😉 ...... checking settings, turning on also videos, and turning on continuous upload, and I am then guided into battery optimization settings .... (that could be the problem is my thought) ........ Noooo, the setting was already correct, and I remember checking it previously today.  "Not allowed"  ........... Still no selfie,......... taking one more selfie and viewing it,........ back to Dropbox app : Now the previous selfie (26 minutes ago) is finaly there ! Jippi 🙂 .......... But the one I just took,........ neeeee, still not. .................... And now there's nothing else ongoing, and there's lots of space. ........... It's just not working as it once upon a time did.

finnstru
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have re-installed on my P30 pro (see loooong report from me), and it made no difference.

finnstru
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have taken more videos than normal lately, and I'm now suspecting that dropbox is bussy upploading those video's and when the dropbox gets full that process takes a break untill I've moved the videos to my "NAS" or whatever,...... and that during this uppload process, it appears to me as the automatic uploading of pictures I take, no longer works. ...... Maybe a possible improvement with regard to that could be to give priority to "smaller" files.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @finnstru, we appreciate the feedback on how to improve the Dropbox mobile app uploads.

Did you try the steps earlier in this thread to reinstall the app to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

finnstru
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes, made no difference,..............

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @finnstru, there are some other things you can try, when coming across camera uploads issues like this.

You can go the app settings and clear the cache.

You can also make sure to have at least 500mb of memory available on your device (not your Dropbox account).

And you can try turning on the option to use cellular data, to see if this is something to do with your WiFi. 

Let us know if that helps.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?