cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Seneca M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi I've been using that COPY PUBLIC LINK from dropbox.com for years and at first it used to actually copy it to the windows copy buffer as it should.  Over the past couple of months it would pop the address as it should but it stopped being able to automatically copy to the copy buffer, but luckily i could still do it myself manually by manually selecting the text and hitting ctrl-c.  In the latest build of dropbox.com, it doesn't even list the address to the file anymore and obviously it couldn't copy to the buffer beforehands but now i can't do it manually either!  😞

so i can't share any files from dropbox.com right now!  😞  I've tried in both google chrome and firefox and same issue with both.  As for which version of windows i'm running, it's the up to date win10....   Thanks in advance.

-seneca

105 Replies 105

Office S.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Another workaround we found was to just move the files out of the public folder and share them from another folder.

It only happens for us from the public folder, for both copying the public link and using the "Share" option.

To the Dropbox team, here's the error we're getting pasted below. Looks like a method got removed that was still relied on. I know you're getting beat up over this, but surely you have unit tests to catch this sort of thing before pushing a new version, yes?

TypeError: this._append_ellipsis is not a function

at Function.showCopyPublicUrlModal (browse_actions-vflqAxCFc.coffee:46)
at file_actions-vflb1Vq2X.coffee:232
at Object.execCb (require-vflLeRP3M.js:1678)
at Object.require.s.contexts._.execCb (require_config-vfltnDUQG.coffee:149)
at Object.check (require-vflLeRP3M.js:873)
at Object.enable (require-vflLeRP3M.js:1165)
at Object.init (require-vflLeRP3M.js:783)
at require-vflLeRP3M.js:1441

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Another workaround we found was to just move the files out of the public folder and share them from another folder.

That's the Share Link option that I posted above, which replaced Public Links years ago.

Office S.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

That's the Share Link option that I posted above, which replaced Public Links years ago.

Cool, guess I missed it. The solution I saw posted above was how to manually format the link, not how to use the browser UI to copy it. 

Heroquestgame F
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

YEAH!  Now it works! 🙂

Thanks!

Nancy U.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dropbox answered my email about copy public link:  Peio, Sep 26, 3:24 AM PDT:

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for alerting us to this problem. Dropbox engineers are aware of the problem and are working on a solution.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Regards,
Peio

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Confirmed. This appears to be resolved now.

Rob D.19
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

So I guess I just needed to check the status of my ticket and after 3 weeks it magically resolves itself! Either way thank you Dropbox!

dw s.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

For me it is partially fixed. The blue "Copy to clipboard" button does not copy link to clipboard, instead I have to right-click on the link text itself (highlighted in blue) and then copy the text, this gets it to my clipboard.

Nancy U.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Dropbox for fixing the public link issue!  

Pablo f.6
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

FIXED!!!

Need more support?