cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop Dropbox Sync Quit Loop

Desktop Dropbox Sync Quit Loop

Barclay
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I recently reorganized a large number of files in my dropbox. I wasn't thinking of the impact on syncing--just of making my own search easier. Since then, my Dropbox app has been quitting every minute or so. When I click the "relaunch" prompt, it starts again. But it's always stuck at the same number of files it's trying to sync, so it's caught in some sort of loop. 

I'm terrified to try to fully delete and reinstall because many of my files are now not on my laptop--they're hosted at Dropbox, and I'm afraid I'll lose access to them (or they won't show up on my laptop) because the new app isn't syncing them.

Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello Barclay

thanks for reaching out to the Community.  Yes, that would be a scary situation to be in.  But if you are confident that you have all files on your computer inside your Dropbox folder and the rest of the files on Dropbox.com, you are assured that you will eventually have all your files synced.  You can go to the web interface and make sure your files are there and also rest of the files should be in your literal Dropbox folder.  You will need to reinstall Dropbox.  Try reinstalling and if that still gives you an error, you may have to do an advanced install.

Do what this Help Center Article https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall. says to do

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello Barclay

thanks for reaching out to the Community.  Yes, that would be a scary situation to be in.  But if you are confident that you have all files on your computer inside your Dropbox folder and the rest of the files on Dropbox.com, you are assured that you will eventually have all your files synced.  You can go to the web interface and make sure your files are there and also rest of the files should be in your literal Dropbox folder.  You will need to reinstall Dropbox.  Try reinstalling and if that still gives you an error, you may have to do an advanced install.

Do what this Help Center Article https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall. says to do

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Barclay, thanks for letting us know about this.

When the app quits, is it giving you some sort of error message?

And what's the exact status of the app, when you hover over the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Barclay
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you! That solved it. I was pretty nervous about opening the terminal but the instructions were clear and it worked. The thing I was really worried about was that the instructions said something along the lines of "if your Dropbox is not installed in the default location..." I've been using dropbox for about ten years and had absolutely no idea whether my settings were default. Lucky guess: they were. Would have been super helpful to know what that default was--or how to check it in those instructions. 

Barclay
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you, Hannah! It seems to be sorted out.....

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

FYI, they are always installed in the Users directory, whether you using a Mac or Windows. (I'm not sure on Linux) Unless one changes it for some reason.  The terminal prompts will just add a user to the folder if not used by Dropbox, it would not be dramatically harmful if done wrong.

Glad its working for you now

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Chris_J Super User
    Barclay Helpful | Level 5
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?