cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop files not syncing from my computer to the site

Desktop files not syncing from my computer to the site

nsawicki
Explorer | Level 3

Many files and folders that I have edited on my desktop are not updating online. I have checked all the settings (allowed use offline), checked my network, unlimited upload speed, uninstalled and reinstalled, and don't know what else. Attached screenshots are of my desktop (see two files updated yesterday) and my online account (those docs listed as last updated May 6). Please help!

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 9.23.47 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 9.24.10 AM.png

17 Replies 17

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @nsawicki, thanks for the additional info.

Which of the two files are you updating? The one in Users/name/Dropbox?

If you update the other one, do your changes sync online?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

nsawicki
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, the documents I've been working on are all in users/name/dropbox (which I think is supposed to be the default location for dropbox files).

So ... I just went into the users/name/library/cloudstorage/dropbox and selected one of the files, edited it, and renamed it. It got saved on my desktop WITH a syncing checkmark, and when I go on dropbox.com the new file appears (screenshots attached)!  That made me think that the users/name/library/cloudstorage/dropbox is what's syncing with the online version ... but on the other hand, none of the others files in this same location have syncing icons. What do you think?

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 8.17.34 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 8.18.13 PM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @nsawicki, could you try marking the other files as available offline, if you have enough space on your computer to do so?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

nsawicki
Explorer | Level 3

All my files are available offline. To confirm, I unchecked, then rechecked the box. 

So here's what I think is happening: I found this article on Mac updates and learned that in the new OS, Dropbox files are stored in users/name/library/cloudstorage/dropbox, and not users/name/dropbox (the old location). I've been updating my files in the old location rather than the new, which is why they're not syncing to online. So the solution, I guess, is to transfer all the files I've updated in the last few days into the new location.

My only remaining question, then, is why the only syncing icons showing in the new location are on new and edited files? Old unchanged filed and folders (so, most of them) do not have sync icons.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @nsawicki, can you try selecting some files that don't have a sync icon, right/control click on them and choose "make available offline", to see if that helps with the sync icons?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

nsawicki
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, that does work - thank you very much.Does that mean I have to do this individually with each folder? Why didn't setting the universal settings to "make available offline" automatically update everything? 

nsawicki
Explorer | Level 3

Never mind - I just did that for the whole Locations Dropbox folder and all the syncing is updating. Thanks, all, so much for your help. I am grateful for your support.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Happy to hear that, @nsawicki!

If you need anything else, just give us a shout. 🙂

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    nsawicki Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?