cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you get a message that the person you’ve shared file with will lose access if you delete?

Do you get a message that the person you’ve shared file with will lose access if you delete?

Twinmoon222
Explorer | Level 3

Well, my ex wrote me a letter he shared on dropbox for me to have forever. I went in to read it today and it says “can’t find file” and that it’s either deleted or wrong link. I’m wondering when he decided to delete the file, did he get notified that if he deletes it that it will delete from my account too?

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@Twinmoon222 wrote:
I’m wondering when he decided to delete the file, did he get notified that if he deletes it that it will delete from my account too?

If the file was shared with you via a shared link, then you didn't have the file in your own account (unless you specifically saved it to your Dropbox). If you were just clicking the link to view the file, you were viewing it in his account.

If he deleted the link, he would have received a message that says "The link will no longer work for anyone who has it." If he just deleted the file directly, he wouldn't have received a message about others accessing it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?