cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox app android won't upload till app is opened

Dropbox app android won't upload till app is opened

Paul K.11
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello,

With my samsung S9 running on android 8.0.0 my dropbox app only uploads the pictures when I open the app.

Before it was uploading always.

53 Replies 53

DLCPhoto
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Until yesterday, I thought my problem was completely solved, but it happened again (despite all of the settings being configured as per recommendations, and my last post).

I had taken a number of pictures while now on WiFi.  I have Dropbox configured to only upload with WiFi, since I don't have unlimited data.  When I returned home, and reconnected to WiFi, those pictures should have automatically uploaded, but they didn't.  I had to open the Dropbox App to get this going.

I tested it just now, while on WiFi, and the photo immediately uploaded.

So it seems that when pictures are taken while not on WiFi, they get 'forgotten' by Dropbox, so to speak, as they didn't automatically upload when WiFi was reconnected.

Something for Dropbox to look into.

Clarence D.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Same issue on a Pixel 3 running Android 10.
When I open the app and go to photos, I see that I have items to upload, which load quickly without any intervention by me.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Clarence D.; welcome to our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please follow these steps and let me know if they help at all? 

1. Open the Dropbox app
2. Tap the menu
3. Tap Settings
4. (if applicable) Select the account under which you enabled Camera Uploads
5. Under Camera Uploads, tap 'Background Uploading’
6. Check it is not set to 'Only while phone is charging'

Let us know how it goes! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

alexdroppingbox
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

> Enabled cellular data with and without being connected to WiFi?

I have done all these things but not sure i follow this one, do you just want me to toggle the options while connected and not connected to wifi resepctively ? Is this a known bug ?

Clarence D.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Checked those items.
Background uploading "only while phone is charging" clicked off.
You didn't mention the "battery percentage", which is set at 30%. That occasionally catches me, but not often. I changed it to 20%.
I have background enabled, upload videos enabled, cellular data eabled, data plan for all files.

alexdroppingbox
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Im stuck i have reinstalled, toggled backup over cellular data

Im made sure the app is not on the sleeping list. Yet for long period of time, even when on charger my photos do not backup till i open the app. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for trying those out for us, @Clarence D. and @alexdroppingbox

I've followed up with a ticket to the email address connected to each of your Community profiles. When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my message and we'll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tom_Austin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

January 16, 2020

I have a Galaxy Note 10.  I've tried all the above and can upload photos only when I open the app.

I just noticed an update in the Google Store two days ago.  Could this update solve the problem?

ATTN Dropbox personnel:  Please have them add dates and times to this forum to help users determine relevancy.

Also, would you please have the Dropbox App developers post changelogs on the Google Store updates so we can decide if we want to apply the update.

THANKS!

Mike H.57
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I too have this issue.

I have a Blackberry KeyONE which runs Android 8.1.0

My Dropbox settings are :

• camera uploads on
  • background uploading on (when battery 25% ), on WiFi only.

Last night my phone was plugged in (quickly reaching 100% ) and at home on my home WiFi network. The photos I had taken earlier were not uploaded until this AM when I opened the Dropbox app and went to Photos.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey peeps, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

For those of you that have already checked @Walter's steps here, could you also make sure that the relevant permissions are allowed from your Android's settings?

1. Open your Android's settings. 
  2. Go to Applications
  3. Tap on Dropbox
  4. Scroll down to Permissions
  5. Make sure that Camera and Storage are toggled on. 

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?