cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox app on iPad refuses to upload anything unless I am plugged in

Dropbox app on iPad refuses to upload anything unless I am plugged in

minuscustserv
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've been trying to upload files for 3 hours and your app banned it because I was not plugged in! My battery was at 100% when I started! And, if I take ipad to car, after just starting an upload while on cellular, it refuses to upload even though I've been uploading on cellular at home but plugged in. This is not a space issue or a battery issue. This is an IT bug it seems. I can't believe corporate wanted free accounts to have this in our face to get us to subscribe. 

(Moderator, if this is the wrong forum, please move! I couldn't figure out what forum is best.  Thanks!)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

minuscustserv
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I uploaded using dropbox'es upload + sign mechanism and not photo's mechanism. And no, I was not in low power mode on my iPad. I am redoing the test now and will update this message in a few minutes. Thanks!

Update:  Unplugged - no upload. Plug in - upload starts and nearly finishes until I unplug it and then it quits immediately. 

Airplane mode off.

Low Power mode OFF

Battery = 100%

I don't get this bug in any other app so far. 

And if I only upload 1 photo, it hangs if I am not plugged in. And I do not get this issue with Notes Writer Pro, only Dropbox. 

And yes, I am fully updated on the iPad to the latest version.

Last UPDATE: I did try 1 photo by itself and it hung and did not upload but then it finally uploaded. So, if I do more than 1 photo, it refuses if I'm not plugged in. Must be something in the code somewheres banning so many KBs or MBs of upload if not plugged in. However, no setting I can find to counteract that. I do wonder if this isn't a secret setting with my version of the iOS because of ATT's "rules" that I'm unaware of. 

5 photos at once does NOT upload at all. I'll keep it uploading in the background and see if that changes somewheres in the next 4 hours or less. 

Question: Can we have your IT look into the matter and see if its a bug on their side? And if they find its nothing they can resolve, then just update this message and I'll live with it. Thanks!

Latest and Last Update of success!

SHOCK!!!! All of a sudden its uploading all 5 images! And yes I am still unplugged! Maybe I'll close this then because it could be royal bottle neck somewheres and if so, there is nothing you guys can do about that! 

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @minuscustserv, thanks for joining our Community.

Have you tried clearing the app's cache from the settings within the Dropbox app, to see if that helps?

If not, try uninstalling the app, restarting your device and reinstalling it.

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

minuscustserv
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

1. I cleared cache and tried again to use wifi (and yes, in settings wifi usage is turned on).  And again it refused until I plugged in. 

2. I plugged in and it started uploading. After it uploaded 2 files and stared on the 3rd, then I unplugged it and it immediately stopped uploading. (I wonder if there isn't a secret setting in iOS that is banning uploading when not plugged in.) 

3. I deleted the app and reinstalled it. 

4. I tried to log in using google. 

5. No keyboard was allowed!  I don't know how accounts.google.com expects me to enter a password without a keyboard! So, I then put Apple's pencil to the spot and after that a microscopic menu popped up allowing me to choose a tiny keyboard requiring an electron microscope to read! Idiots and this is not Drop box! 

6. I am finally in. Data was restored quickly. I started to have the same issue, but then logged into dropbox on PC. I think the issue is that it assumes I am offline, if using cellular and not plugged in. But, if I log into a device not on cellular, then it works. Meh, I'll be subscribing soon enough, maybe that will clear up this issue. 🤣 (I have 1 app that requires me to use dropbox or snoopdrive (google) so can't use competitor whose cheaper and gives more space.) Besides, I've used dropbox long enough that I'm not really all that interested in switching to someone I don't know, because I trust drop box to be in business longer. 😉

Thanks!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @minuscustserv, how are you today?

Did you use low power mode by any chance, while trying to upload? Also did you use camera uploads, or manually upload content by using the + sign?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

minuscustserv
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I uploaded using dropbox'es upload + sign mechanism and not photo's mechanism. And no, I was not in low power mode on my iPad. I am redoing the test now and will update this message in a few minutes. Thanks!

Update:  Unplugged - no upload. Plug in - upload starts and nearly finishes until I unplug it and then it quits immediately. 

Airplane mode off.

Low Power mode OFF

Battery = 100%

I don't get this bug in any other app so far. 

And if I only upload 1 photo, it hangs if I am not plugged in. And I do not get this issue with Notes Writer Pro, only Dropbox. 

And yes, I am fully updated on the iPad to the latest version.

Last UPDATE: I did try 1 photo by itself and it hung and did not upload but then it finally uploaded. So, if I do more than 1 photo, it refuses if I'm not plugged in. Must be something in the code somewheres banning so many KBs or MBs of upload if not plugged in. However, no setting I can find to counteract that. I do wonder if this isn't a secret setting with my version of the iOS because of ATT's "rules" that I'm unaware of. 

5 photos at once does NOT upload at all. I'll keep it uploading in the background and see if that changes somewheres in the next 4 hours or less. 

Question: Can we have your IT look into the matter and see if its a bug on their side? And if they find its nothing they can resolve, then just update this message and I'll live with it. Thanks!

Latest and Last Update of success!

SHOCK!!!! All of a sudden its uploading all 5 images! And yes I am still unplugged! Maybe I'll close this then because it could be royal bottle neck somewheres and if so, there is nothing you guys can do about that! 

Thanks!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Happy to see that last update, @minuscustserv!

I'm glad it's working now, while unplugged. Do let us know, if the issue comes back, though.

See you around the Community! 🙂

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?