cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox is not searchable in Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1

Dropbox is not searchable in Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1

robinwn
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox files/folders are not searchable in spotlight on new MacBook Pro with M1 chip - Monterey OS 12.0.1. Have re-indexed spotlight. Have uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox and rebooted. Have made sure Dropbox has full access in Security and Privacy. Help please?

181 Replies 181

spinozist
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I chatted with support in Dropbox and they could not help me. I uploaded the relevant screen shots, explained the problem, and they said they couldn't do anything. Very disappointing in a company I've had a relationship with for years.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could you share your ticket ID then @spinozist?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Thinker
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?  It is very frustrating that Dropbox folders are not included when I search my mac.  Makes me want to try another provider other than Dropbox.

John M.13
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Really wish I could help ... because no doubt I'll be plagued with this problem again if the solution isn't found. 

FWIW my Dropbox app has been updated (unbeknownst to me) to version 147.4.4800, and my Mac (2021 MBPro) is running macOS Monterey 12.3.1 (21E258). I'm not aware of any other changes on my system that made Finder search mysteriously start working and so far, thankfully, the problem hasn't returned.

John M.13
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Did a search and found that other folks are having Finder search problems with Microsoft OneDrive, and I thought I saw some also with Google Drive.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/spotlight-wont-search-inside-file-provider-v2...

Mac OS's "File Provider API" is deeply involved in this (according to DropBox support, as mentioned in my earlier post). Either the API is buggy or the API is being implemented incorrectly. DropBox developers need to demand Apple engage on this.

Thinker
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

And just like that I rebooted my mac and it starts working again.  Yippee.

jseliger
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I've been getting problems with Spotlight and Dropbox in MacOS 12.5 Monterey: Dropbox is either not being indexed by Spotlight, or Spotlight isn't showing Dropbox results. Frustrating! I've tried some of the commonly-mentioned strategies, like re-indexing. So far, none have worked. I'm on Dropbox 154.4.5363.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jseliger, thanks for the nudge here and sorry to see you're having trouble.

Can you let us know what kind of troubleshooting steps you've tried so far?

For example, have you also tried restarting both your computer and the Dropbox app (by quitting and relaunching it)?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dvpp666
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Hannah_ I have this problem too. I can find files in Dropbox by a direct Dropbox search and by a direct Spotlight search (⌘-space, ⌘⌥-space), but the same files are not found in the Finder search. I've done the usual restart of Mac and Dropbox. A solution would be fantastic.

p.s. when I search "This Mac" I can see the file. When I click on "Dropbox" the list of matches disappears.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dvpp666, sorry to jump in here, but can you let us know if the files you can't find in Finder are available offline on your computer or if they're online-only

Also, have you made sure that the desktop app is up to date in your menu bar and not still syncing?

Keep us posted!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?