cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox new Backup Dropbox Need disabled sharing. Can I get out of this?

Dropbox new Backup Dropbox Need disabled sharing. Can I get out of this?

schachin
New member | Level 2

So seems the synced Dropbox is no longer considered a backup by Dropbox so they created Dropbox Backup. 

In DropBox backup, they removed share so you can't accidentally share from the backup (I have no idea why anyone accidentally shares since it is not easy to do in the first place).

This means they also removed the share from my computer, so I can no longer share from my computer.

Then when I use the right-click menu on my computer I try to go to DB to share it redirects me to the DB backup and I cannot share from there because they removed it.

I have no need for a Dropbox where I cannot share from my computer and where I cannot share from DB. Since the synced DB is already my backup why did they add this function? Why does it redirect? How do I get the share back on both DB and the right-click menu my computer? 

I am so angry right now because I have to send something to a client and can't. 

2 Replies 2

schachin
New member | Level 2

So the title went in kind of weird I didn't catch it and apparently you can't edit it basically I have used Dropbox forever with smart sync.

Smart sync lets me take big files off my computer. Then I can use the right click in my computer to share or go to Dropbox regular to do an advanced share.

BUT.. .

They removed the ability to share in Dropbox Backup -- which I don't even know what that is or why it's there since Dropbox is already a backup when you sync it -- but either I have to choose smart syncing my computer or being able to share those files with clients.

So does anyone know a solution to this where I can still do both? Because if I have to choose one of the other I have to choose another product.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @schachin, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

I understand your frustration and indeed, you can no longer share files that are in your backup.

If you want to share these files, you'll need to manually move them into your root Dropbox folder or any other folder outside the backup folders.

Are you having any issues, when trying to do this?

We do appreciate your feedback on this, though, and I will pass your comments along to our team.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    schachin New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?