cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox not syncing files with emojis in the filename

Dropbox not syncing files with emojis in the filename

Christian W.10
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello,

I am trying to use dropbox to sync an application that has a bunch of image files in a subfolder. The image files are of emojis, and each filename IS the emoji that it represents. For example, "😀.png" contains a custom image of the ðŸ˜€ emoji that the program uses.

The issue is that Dropbox won't sync any of the files that have emojis in the filenames. They all get the red X when I try to upload through the filesystem, and I get an error when I try to upload through the web.

I could put everything in a zip file, but I need to be able to run the application out of the dropbox folder on my other computer without extracting. 

Any ideas on how to get these files to sync?

Thanks!

29 Replies 29

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you're interested, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mayrcast
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

fonti
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

They have closed the feature as `won't do for now`. I really need this on 2021. I will have to find a different solution to sync my Obsidian notes.

Earl M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This bug is the reason Dropbox lost my business. 

I've followed this bug for almost four years. I've explained this bug to Dropbox multiple times and I'm now convinced that they will never fix it. There's no real excuse. None. I'd recommend every major cloud storage provider over Dropbox. I'd recommend a NAS over Dropbox. Heck, a shoebox filled with old USB flash drives only fails due to a lack of cloud integration.

Verify that *all* of your files are being replicated and if not consider using another service. Data loss bugs should never fail silently     

rodarmor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Supporting a non-obvious subset of unicode is not a reasonable product decision.

Earl M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Financially supporting a company that only supports a subset of unicode in filenames when every other cloud storage company supports full unicode filenames is more unresonable in my opinion.

However you are free to spend your money as you wish

James T.19
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I don't need Unicode support in filenames - it would have been trivial for me to rename the file that brought this to my attention. However, what I do need is for the product not to fail silently. Dropbox is happy to report other types of sync issues so that I can address them. Why not this one?

ajairajraj
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Are there any plans to provide fuller emoji support in filenames?

Dormouse
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm thinking of moving my working files from Dropbox because of the lack of emoji support.

Most of the explanations of the issue - including those in this thread - are wrong. The best account I have found to identify emojis that do work is that to avoid all emojis coded U+1F. Nearly (nearly!!!) all of those I have tried with other codes do work - so far I have found two that don't, though I haven't tested quite all of them.

But that excludes most emojis and requires individual testing of each one. I have a list of most of those that work at this point in time. Can I trust that the same list will always work in the future? - obviously not because Dropbox is determinedly non-communicative about the issue and such knowledge as there is has been dug up by users. The fact that these work now may just be a quirk of the current programming.

bostiq
New member | Level 2

It's 2024:

Still not supporting emojis???

Am I supposed to edit hundreds of filenames by hand??

Unbelievable.

Need more support?