cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not updating

Dropbox not updating

cant_back_up
Explorer | Level 3

My Dropbox is not syncing. On my Macbook Pro (running on Ventura 13.4.1c), the same number of files has been (2748) has been in the process of being updated for several days. I am running the most recent version of Dropbox, v178.4.4811. Nothing on my computer is syncing with my IOS devices (iPhones and iPad). What is causing this, and how can I fix it? 

12 Replies 12

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @cant_back_up, sorry to hear about your syncing issue.

Can you please send us a screenshot of the app's exact status as shown in your menu bar at the moment?

Has it been stuck on the exact same number of files for a while now?

Keep me posted please!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

cant_back_up
Explorer | Level 3

The number of files it's uploading has actually increased over the past week. 

7/19/2023 now updating 2756 files

7/21/2023 now updating 2762 files

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 9.33.37 PM.png

The Dropbox help desk told me to uncheck many folders from syncing. I did that; it didn't work. Then a manager told me to sign out of Dropbox and sign in again. The app then gives me this disconcerting message: 

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 9.35.51 PM.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @cant_back_up, sorry to jump in here.

Did you reach out to our support team about this?

If so, can you please give us the ticker number for the communication?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

GracielaLo96
New member | Level 2

I had the same issue and had to update my dropbox which fixed the problem. The most updatedd dropbox version is v179.3.4830. Try updating it and see if that works for you too.

cant_back_up
Explorer | Level 3

I am still having problems, which I first contacted Dropbox Support on June 17. The supervisor advised me to sign out of Dropbox and sign back in. However, when you do that, a prompt appears asking if you want to disable backup. If you press that key, it goes to another panel on Dropbox Backup, and it's confusing what one is supposed to do. Are you supposed to delete backup? I tried choosing which folders I want to backup and deselecting them. Then the prompt still asks if I want to delete the backup; it has the not-very-comforting message, "Don't worry, your files will still live on your computer." But what about the files that did not live in that computer but in other computers? Or the files you put to online only? Will they disappear? 

Two weeks ago, I hit "delete the backup" and restarted Dropbox. It seemed to be working okay after that. But two weeks later, it is highly confused - it seems forever stuck on 27,480 files to update. 

But now, when I go to check the various folders on Dropbox.com, I find that many, many files and folders are missing. Is it because the backup rebuild didn't catch all the things that were either not on this computer or online only? 

A lot of my files have disappeared and at a very inopportune time, as I have to give back this computer tomorrow.

I remember sitting in Silicon Valley at a coffee shop, and someone related to Dropbox was talking loudly about how Dropbox loses files and doesn't tell you. Is that what is going on? 

cant_back_up
Explorer | Level 3

This issue is still not resolved. My ticket numbers from the support chat are  #22434083  from July 17. The last communication was on July 21. 

cant_back_up
Explorer | Level 3

My Dropbox is not syncing. On my Macbook Pro (running on Ventura 13.4.1c), the same number of files has been (2748) has been in the process of being updated for several days. I am running the most recent version of Dropbox, v179.4.4985. Nothing on my computer is syncing with my IOS devices (iPhones and iPad). What is causing this, and how can I fix it? 

I am reposting this because I have not been able to get a satisfactory working answer. 

The matter is now urgent, because I have to return my former employers laptop tomorrow. This problem was reported to Dropbox Support 3 weeks ago but things have not resolved. My ticket numbers from the support chat are  #22434083  from July 17. The last communication was on July 21. 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Dropbox-not-updating/m-p/700499#M71920

UPDATE: I am still having problems, which I first contacted Dropbox Support about on July 17. The supervisor advised me to sign out of Dropbox and sign back in. However, when you do that, a prompt appears asking if you want to disable backup. If you press that key, it goes to another panel on Dropbox Backup, and it's confusing what one is supposed to do. Are you supposed to delete backup? I tried choosing which folders I want to backup and deselecting them. Then the prompt still asks if I want to delete the backup; it has the not-very-comforting message, "Don't worry, your files will still live on your computer." But what about the files that did not live in that computer but in other computers? Or the files you put to online only? Will they disappear? 

Two weeks ago, I hit "delete the backup" and restarted Dropbox. It seemed to be working okay after that. But two weeks later, it is highly confused - it seems forever stuck on 27,480 files to update.  (Now at 27,482).

But now, when I go to check the various folders on Dropbox.com, I find that many, many files and folders are missing. Is it because the backup rebuild didn't catch all the things that were either not on this computer or online only? 

A lot of my files have disappeared and at a very inopportune time, as I have to give back this computer tomorrow.

I remember sitting in Silicon Valley at a coffee shop, and someone related to Dropbox was talking loudly about how Dropbox loses files and doesn't tell you. Is that what is going on? 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @nmanabe, have you tried replying to the previous support ticket from when you contacted the support team?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cant_back_up
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Jay, I did, and received an automated reply saying that the mailbox is unmonitored. This forced me to create another ticket, in which I referenced the original ticket.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    cant_back_up Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?