cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File Request - Please provide an option to NOT rename our uploaded files

File Request - Please provide an option to NOT rename our uploaded files

sunspots
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

We receive tons of file submissions from our business partners daily. However, a large part of the time I spend managing these submissions is spent renaming the files because they're automatically prefixed or suffixed with the Dropbox username of the user that uploaded the file. This causes a lot of unnecessary work and wasted time.

I am requesting that you allow us - the paying Dropbox users - the option to determine for ourselves if the Dropbox username is desired  . . .  or, if the original unaltered filenames are what we'd like to have to work with.

Screen-Shot-2023-01-19-at-11.45.04-AM.png

Thank you.

PS - If I've linked you to this message, it was because you had created or responded to a thread that included the terms File & Request. I know this may not apply to everyone, but if you think that this is a reasonable feature to add (at least, the option to not have the Dropbox user prefixed or suffixed onto the original file name), then please vote for and link other Dropbox members that you think might benefit from this feature, and promote this idea!

@Staab@Drew G@Teamchil@benebelt1@dwcapture@buildonrock@Artisticfuries@mccarthian@SuperStock@Macn101@MeritDeveloper@VJG21@Birsay, @tc16@Rich, @ramiromalcala@Mark, @Ed, @PPT320, @Greg-DB@Filip H, @Jay @Tom Tom, @hallofgame2k22, @w_l, @Hannah, @Nancy, @marplatense, @jcm48, @dappelgren

46 Replies 46

sunspots
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thanks for that info, @Macn101. I think the key word in your comment is 'workaround'. We shouldn't have to come up with workarounds.

Macn101
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Agreed, @sunspots, workaround is definitely the key word.

It is also dumb that we have to request turning off a "feature" like we are asking for a new feature. We don't want to add anything, we want to toggle or remove something that should have been optional in the first place with a FILE MANAGEMENT AND STORAGE CLOUD SERVICE, marketing to professionals with a "pro" plan.

Why do we have to vote to ask to toggle something? We need a better avenue for this.

Pro's, my behind. We're suckers with no better options, because all the others have even more issues in my testing and exploration.

sunspots
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

If you are copied on this Dropbox Ideas thread, it was because you had created or responded to a thread that included the terms File, Request or FileRequest.

If you think that we, the Dropbox end user should have the option to KEEP  the original filename as the sender created it before uploading, PLEASE vote for this idea!

Dropbox gives us this hint to draw more people into an idea for voting for it :

Screen-Shot-2023-01-20-at-10.18.23-AM.png  USE IT!

Be active, and link this idea to your colleagues, friends or other Dropbox members that you think might benefit from this feature, and promote this idea!

Similar great ideas that need help,
or to be reopened :

Comments Field for File Request
Disable email notification for File Request uploads
File name changed when uploading to a Dropbox Request

@illcom94, @mukund, @Brad H.26, @Mikell U., @Ian S.40, @Andrea B.32, @Mr T., @Tina W.1, @Erik E.9, @Lorelei P., @aerokat25, @Mike H.57@Link, @multiforme, @hoss9009, @jdpuglisi, @w4rner, @AlannaP, @eSlot, @FelipeSJArdim, @armstrongcasting

sunspots
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Others I'd like to include in this idea mention (I can only include 30 at a time)

@CEM Casting, @w_l, @585 Print, @psmith0408, @cello007, @BrettAmyThelen@Roblox1, @Learningtech, @JD444@loschwo,

buildonrock
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Agreed, this IS crucial, and as paying dropbox users, we need an explanation or resolution!!

AND -- as requested, we're only asking, please make it OPTIONAL. If you have to add some other indicator/unique identifier, ok, but a complete rename is ridiculous!

Staab
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Why does Dropbox keep closing these threads?????

This issue has been around for OVER FIVE YEARS. And Dropbox has refused to add a simple toggle to the file request feature. So so many people clearly find these threads as they accumulate thousands upon thousands of views. And yet Dropbox still refuses to pay attention to it's users.

I have stopped using the file request feature on Dropbox because it's just unusable in its current state. All we need is an option to NOT rename our files. Dropbox, PLEASE TRUST YOUR USERS that this is actually incredibly important to our workflows!!!

sunspots
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

If you are copied on this Dropbox Ideas thread, it was because you had created or responded to a thread that included the terms File, Request or Business.

If you think that we, the Dropbox end user should have the option to KEEP  the original filename as the sender created it before uploading via a Dropbox File Request . . . .

PLEASE vote for this idea!

@HiTaxMan808, @nicolas monguzzi, @melissabreau, @marcos6991, @COudin, @skro, @ImmigrationLawren, @TAUWHub, @Curtis_Perrin, @FSLA, @Gabe Herman, @Ihavenoideawhatimdoingwrong, @ProInnovation, @bkenlocations, @laurent-lathiey, @corysed, @John C.146, @Jukin - O., @fssbob, @Nick O.3 @Rick_M, @DaveC2, @Vince M.3, @ponocasting, @Matt_M, @johnboy85, @athena-metis, @pop4richard, @bradperson, @jfp1,

Buck21
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I agree completely on this feature. 

Dropbox, please get with your community and stop closing threads and suppressing comments from users. A 1000 people shouldn't have to vote to get a feature like this implemented, as it is a basic human right NOT TO ALTER OUR PROPETY AND INFORMATION. 

I too work in multimedia workflows where projects reference media files based on their NAME. So automatically renaming everything that is uploaded causes a massive headache. 

For that reason alone, I just don't use the upload features of Dropbox anymore. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
This idea has been closed as it has reached the end of the Share an Idea process.

Thank you for your suggestion, and if you have another idea to share, please do! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Graham
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

We are very happy to let you all know that the ability to remove the Dropbox username from a file name when submitting a File Request is now available. 

When creating the File Request, simply click on the trashcan icon next to the "Sender's name" field to remove this from the incoming files.

image.png

We know that a lot of you have been very keen to see this feature added and we hope it now makes using File Requests a little bit easier for you all. 

Thank you for you patience getting to here and for choosing Dropbox!

Have a great day!

Graham

Need more support?