cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File was rolled back to an earlier date

File was rolled back to an earlier date

Pickleball13
Explorer | Level 3

I have been updating a file almost every day, and then uploading the latest version to dropbox. Last night I uploaded a new version (5-4-2023 at 11:20pm). Today the file is showing that the latest update was on April 28th. I have a screenshot of dropbox after last night's upload and a screenshot of the history shown today. It looks as if someone rolled back the server that my file was on, to one week ago. All of the history over the last week is gone even though I updated the file multiple times over the week.

This happened to me once before, but I wrote it off as a fluke. Now that it has happened again, I am very concerned. How can DropBox just roll back a server, therefore losing updates to files?

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Pickleball13, sorry to hear about this.

Could you please let us know if you're using a web browser to update the file or the desktop app instead?

Do you see any signs of your edits in your events page?

Let us know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Pickleball13
Explorer | Level 3

I am making the edits in the desktop version of Word and then using the dropbox.com website to upload the latest version of the document. There were no signs of any of my uploads on the Activity screen after 4/28, even though I uploaded the file multiple times between 4/28 and 5/4. I have attached a screenshot showing my upload on 5/4 and a 2nd screenshot showing what the Activity screen looked like earlier today....with the file apparently rolled back to 4/28. Note that since then I have uploaded the latest file a couple of times today and it has been edited by one of my coworkers. The Activity Screen still shows all of today's updates but no updates between 4/28 and today.

Screenshot of my latest uploadScreenshot of my latest uploadScreenshot of Activity screen after the file was apparently rolled back.Screenshot of Activity screen after the file was apparently rolled back.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Pickleball13, thanks for the additional info.

I do have some more questions for you, so we can try to figure this out.

Is it possible that someone else overwrote the updated file? Or perhaps there's another copy of the file?

If you look in the file's location and choose to 'show deleted files', do you see another copy?

Were the previous updates between the 28th and now all made via the desktop and do they show in your events page?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Pickleball13 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?