cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We’ve covered lots of big life moments in our ‘How we use Dropbox’ series - and now we even have some tips on how you can use Dropbox to keep the planning of a wedding as easy and as painless as possible over here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files Reverting from Online Only to Local

Files Reverting from Online Only to Local

MaEverlovinJoad
Explorer | Level 4

I am using a Windows 10 computer. I have a couple of files that I recently set to online only. They appeared to sync and be in online only status, but when I went back soon after they had reverted to local versions. I reset them to online only and the issue recurred (and has every time I've tried since). I've been using Dropbox for a while and this is the first time I've run into this problem. I have no other applications/programs open at the time and do not have the files open when this occurs. I also tried reinstalling Dropbox (to be sure I have the most recent version), but that did not fix the issue.

8 Replies 8

Re: Files Reverting from Online Only to Local

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @MaEverlovinJoad, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Many processes on your machine look at files that you may have not manually opened and in order to fulfill these requests from these processes Dropbox syncs the files. Examples of this include:

- Backup services
- Antivirus
- Recently used file lists in individual apps
- Third party applications that monitor files in general

- Navigating to a folder while within an app (such as an 'Open' dialog)

Please note that if there are applications that constantly or persistently look at your files, your files may come back following the behavior described above if you didn't recall them manually. 

If this is the case, I'd suggest you to test by temporarily quitting or disabling applications systematically until you see that the issue is resolved. The last application that you closed when the issue no longer occurred may be the one performing this action.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

MaEverlovinJoad
Explorer | Level 4

Jay, thanks for responding. I am very disappointed that my email support ticket was closed without resolution and the tech (who basically offered the same info./steps that you did) never responded to follow-up questions. Based on the steps I've tried below, I need to understand the next specific troubleshooting steps I should take. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Here are some things I tried to rule out an issue with a third-party app/program:

-closed all other apps/programs (confirmed in task manager)

-restarted my computer and again closed all other apps/programs (confirmed in task manager)

-I have been using Dropbox for a while and have not installed any additional apps/programs recently, so don't see how an existing one would suddenly start interfering with Dropbox file syncing

Other info.:

-My internet is pretty stable, so didn't suspect this as the cause. I just received a newer router from my ISP (unrelated to this), which is working great (this is AFTER the Dropbox file sync issue started) and this has had no impact on my file sync issue

-All old online-only files are still working as online-only, only recently designated online-only files are having this issue

Mark
Super User II

@MaEverlovinJoad wrote:

Jay, thanks for responding. I am very disappointed that my email support ticket was closed without resolution and the tech (who basically offered the same info./steps that you did) never responded to follow-up questions. 

Sadly too common 😞 

Out of interest @MaEverlovinJoad are these large files or not? Do you have enough space on your computer to save them twice? i.e. once in the folder and once in a cache?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

MaEverlovinJoad
Explorer | Level 4

@Mark thank you so much for replying. They are pretty small Excel files. I currently have about 400G of free space on my laptop, since I keep most files online only. I am using 12% of my Dropbox allotment according the app

My laptop (where I'm experiencing issues) crashed a couple of hours ago and won't power on, so I'm wondering if whatever is causing that also has to do with Dropbox suddenly having issues. I will be having the laptop serviced and will report back when that is done.

Mark
Super User II

Ah, its not where my train of thought was going then. 

I was thinking that as Dropbox sync's files to its local cache before removing them if the files were too large to do that it may go wrong. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hey @MaEverlovinJoad, happy Monday!

Would you mind sending us the ticket number from your communication with our support team?

Also, what about antivirus programs? Have you tried disabling those too, to see if you get a different behavior?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Online only reverting back to local windows 11

LYEF
New member | Level 2

My files keep reverting back to local causing files to not be found/ not load. Online version also lagging. 

Re: Online only reverting back to local windows 11

Megan
Dropboxer

Hi @LYEF, welcome to our Community!

I've gone ahead and merged your query under a similar thread, in order to keep everything at one place.

Can you have a look at Jay's reply above, and let me know if you have any questions? 

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropboxer
    LYEF New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropboxer
    Mark Super User II
    MaEverlovinJoad Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?