cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Files do not get downloaded automatically on Mac

Files do not get downloaded automatically on Mac

MathewCross
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there, 

I am experiencing an issue with files added by other users after installing the new Dropbox on MAC OS 13.1 (22C65). I need the files to be downloaded automatically to my drive instead of having to download them manually. This does not happen. I have Dropbox system extension as off. What else can be done?

33 Replies 33

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That's correct, since the new version of the Dropbox desktop application for Mac OS, files added online or from other devices will default to online-only on your machine. 

You can still mark entire folders as available offline, and files within there should download as local copies.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MathewCross
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

'fantastic' so the whole basic idea of dropbox as a convenient tool synchronizing files automatically has gone to hell, it would be great if someone had thought that such a crucial change might make work of somem people very difficult and laborious as some 3 party applications do not download the files like finder after double clicking so now working in that application I have to keep finder open and download manually folders where I want to work... 'thank you very much'....

marktb1961
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Jay 

is this for all files on the site, or just certain files aren't syncing down? Do they have a compatible file name to allow for the download?

It is only for files that I create from a specific third party app, in the circumstances described above in my reply to @Hannah. Files have compatible file names, nothing fancy.

I noticed that Dropbox updated on my machines to version 165.4.4300 ... since then, the test I described does not replicate the issue. Perhaps something else has changed but hopefully Dropbox have fixed the issue.

marktb1961
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In  actual use, the problem has recurred. Possibly the exact way I use the app to open a file is significant.

Also, if I duplicate the output file (the one that Dropbox has failed to recognise), the new copy IS taken up correctly and sync'd.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @marktb1961, thank you for your feedback relating to the new syncing behavior on Dropbox for macOS. 

As with any operating system (OS), macOS is updated regularly and with that, we must keep the Dropbox desktop app aligned with any requirements set out by an OS. Keeping aligned to those requirements ensures that the Dropbox desktop app will provide the best possible experience for all our customers in to the future.

We’ll be sure to pass your feedback along to our Product and Design teams.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

marktb1961
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Jay  - you might have mixed me up with the @MathewCross, the original poster. Possibly there are two different issues. There is at least one DropBox bug, I don't think that is a design issue.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @marktb1961, thanks for all the info you provided.

Is the 3rd party app that you're using to create these files somehow connected to your Dropbox account?

Meaning, does it appear in your connected apps page?

And are you exporting them to Dropbox from this app, or are they created in the Dropbox folder directly?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

marktb1961
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks @Hannah. Answers to your further questions:

No, the 3rd party app is not connected to my Dropbox account.

I am creating files directly in the Dropbox folder (i.e. in the folder that my collaborator shared with me and that appears as a sub-folder in the "DropBox" location on my Mac).

The app is a Java-based board gaming engine called Vassal

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for that Mark!

Can you try these steps, to see if they help at all? If not, then try these steps.

Thanks!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

MathewCross
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So, to conclude, is Dropbox planning to improve this and allow automatic downloads as it used to be or I am doomed to manual handling?

Need more support?