cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to make sure we keep you updated on the ideas that other users have shared here on the Community? Us too! Check them out over here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Folder Recovery from Shared Folder that stopped syncing

Folder Recovery from Shared Folder that stopped syncing

NicholasFortune
New member | Level 2

Hi all,

In a bit of a panic here. Dropbox chat was not helpful because this issue is super specific. I'll try my best to explain.

My former colleague now works elsewhere. We had a shared folder (let's call it Folder A). She was the owner of the folder. She has since left my university. Her account had stopped syncing (most likely a space issue as she had the free version). She was shared a large folder from her new company that may have caused the issue.

Anyways, today I noticed that the folder was gone. It was there yesterday. No where in her account does it even acknowledge this folder existed. She had a version of it that was from roughly Wednesday of last week, but there were new files in there that I have spent hours working on. But since her account stopped syncing, when she added it back it puts the version that doesn't have these updates. It is not in her events, in her deleted files, ANYWHERE. Because her "version" was from mid-week last week where as new files were added there Friday and Sunday. I'm freaking out.

And the most important file, "File A" is gone. But where could it have gone. It was in the folder but not her version of the folder. And yes I have tried all the standard help things. This is a very unique issue with this sync thing, then files getting deleted, then not being able to recover because they don't show up anywhere.

I hope this even makes sense! Please help!

4 Replies 4

Re: Folder Recovery from Shared Folder that stopped syncing

Mark
Super User II

It should still be in the folder of the person who created the file - and on that persons computer. If she, however, has done a restore on it that may have overwrote the file so they could need to do a restore on it to a previous version. However, if it hasnt sync'd at all due to a space issue and she has restored to a different date it may have overwritten it and be unrecoverable. 

www.dropbox.com/events may help here from the persons account who last updated it

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

NicholasFortune
New member | Level 2

I was the one that created the file. But it is not anywhere. That's the problem.

NicholasFortune
New member | Level 2

And I accessed it on 2 different computers so it was syncing over the weekend. Just not to her account.

Mark
Super User II

It should be in the folder that it was created on then - unless as I said she has restored it via her account to a previous version. So you may need to go back in to the Version History and choose a different one from when you sync'd it

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    NicholasFortune New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?