cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Not happy with your Spotify Wrapped? Check out how Kevin on the Dropbox team used Paper to make sure he keeps discovering new music over here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Comments

Re: Folders

Folders

Bill F
New member | Level 2

Hi, So I used File Explorer to "copy" all of my files on my Desktop to Dropbox. However, when I dragged and dropped all of my files from my Desktop to Dropbox I found that I had not copied them but had actually moved them all to Dropbox which I did not want to do as i still wanted those files on my desktop. So I had to move them back from Dropbox to my Desktop. Then when I tried to back up these files from my Desktop to a flash-drive (which I often do) I received a message for all these files for the first time ever; "Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties". I clicked yes and everything seem to work ok but this was the first time I got this message. Can anyone shed some light please? What am I missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ZAGG
Helpful | Level 6

This type of warning occurs when copying files from one drive to a drive with a different file format, typically NTFS->FAT. NTFS can store information about the files that are not transferable to the FAT filesystem. These properties are typically metadata created by windows using ADS(alternate data stream).

Nothing about the files themselves is lost or altered when these properties are removed so you do not have to worry about something happening to your files.

If the error does bother you or if you require ADS features, the only workaround is to reformat the drive you are copying the files to with the NTFS file system.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ZAGG
Helpful | Level 6

This type of warning occurs when copying files from one drive to a drive with a different file format, typically NTFS->FAT. NTFS can store information about the files that are not transferable to the FAT filesystem. These properties are typically metadata created by windows using ADS(alternate data stream).

Nothing about the files themselves is lost or altered when these properties are removed so you do not have to worry about something happening to your files.

If the error does bother you or if you require ADS features, the only workaround is to reformat the drive you are copying the files to with the NTFS file system.

Bill F
New member | Level 2

Wow, thanks for the quick and detailed response. Bill

Need more support?