cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: High CPU Usage after updating MacBook Pro to MacOS Monterey (12.3)

High CPU Usage after updating MacBook Pro to MacOS Monterey (12.3)

afrey25
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I installed the latest MacOS update (Monterey 12.3) on my MacBook pro last night and now Dropbox is almost continuously syncing files and sucking my CPU usage. Fans are running almost constantly, and battery life has been dreadful as a result.

Anyone else experiencing this?

All my files are fully synced so I have no clue what files Dropbox keeps re-syncing and why over and over again. I've rebooted, turned Dropbox on and off. Pretty much everything I can think of other than deleting and reinstalling the desktop app. 

Any suggestions? Thanks.

93 Replies 93

sstm
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

I had to quit the dropbox app to reduce overheating my mbp. I am seeing the same problem every time I turn it on.

At some point it says "files up to date" and then after a while it starts syncing again for no apparent reason, no changes to any files. This started to happen just few days ago (max a week back, no very sure).

"Early releases" is off, I never turned it on.

thanks

ssm

chocksmith
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here.

Looking for alternatives. For me and for my company.

If there was a log to look at and help to debug, like any other software. It would help a lot.

My own personal conspiracy theory: Dropbox is mining bitcoins in our machines 🙂 and keep us in the dark to make extra money. 🙂 

Lyle M.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

No, I'm going to stay on the beta as they appear to work better for me. The syncing issues I've had have existed since I started using DropBox. It will show all files up to date and then a few minutes later will update the cloud from the computer. Once I figured it out, I just make sure not to use a shared file without waiting a few minutes. My biggest grip with DropBox is having to upgrade service because I have too many devices connected to the same account. By the time I connect my desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones I've exceeded the max number of logins.

Lyle M.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Forgot to mention that you need to set the upload bandwidth to not throttle to make DropBox more responsive.

If you are sharing files with a program like Scrivener turn off the option to automatically load the previous projects you were working on as sometimes you'll corrupt a project when the program loads files before they get sync'd and you end up with two versions to deal with.

JohnLane02
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Has anyone had an issue with where Dropbox installed the sync folder?

While following the trouble shooting steps DB provided, I deleted a current version of the app and reinstalled.  Somewhere in that process, DB installer noted the sync folder was required to move under a library folder called "Cloud Storage". I see my two OneDrive folders are there.  Perhaps one of the Beta apps required that new location.

Over time, as I deleted and reinstalled, per DB trouble shooting directions, the DB installer no longer used the Cloud Storage library folder and went back to the standard root location. 

Well, now I have multiple DB folders to deal with. The new one syncs, the Cloud Storage folder version is now just an online folder.  And, there are files in each that are different. 

To make matters worse, DB support denies that the installer required the Cloud Storage Folder location. So they refuse to help. 

Ugh, if only iCloud storage was a better product.... 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, happy Tuesday! 

It would be helpful for you to check in with our Support team, in order to create a ticket about that. For anyone that can't do that, feel free to let me know, so I can help on my end. 

Once you do, you can attach the ticket numbers in this thread, so I can locate them on our system. 

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Fabio L.
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

Same intermittent syncing issues here on MacBook Pro on MacOS 12.3.1 and Dropbox 145.4.4921. The monitor app also shows an high energy consumption without any activity. From time to time Dropbox starts to Sync "something", then is going back to normal status. It seems syncing "online only" files located somewhere in the Dropbox folder, in no particular order, updating the "last modified" date of folders and files.

Fabio L.
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

I understood what was going on. Dropbox was syncing online only files with the new framework I guess, since online only files now have "zero byte" dimensions. In previous Mac OS 11 smart synced files had dimensions other than zero. Now the syncing process seems done, and I notice no other issues so far. I am on Apple Silicon M1.

aseedb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Same issue. Dropbox is draining my battery

Ian F.11
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here. Support ticket opened.

Need more support?