cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How the nested folders are created in the cloud storage?

How the nested folders are created in the cloud storage?

Dennis Web developer
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Guys,

I am Danny, a web application developer, I am going to integrate my file management system with Dropbox for my clients. I'm trying to rearrange my storage hierarchy structure according to the standard structure. 

My question is if my file is stored in this format myMainDirectory/folder1/subFolder1/level_3/myfile.txt and I can see it in this structure, Is the file is stored in the same structure (the same hierarchy) in the dropbox cloud storage?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@Dennis Web developer wrote:

My question is if my file is stored in this format myMainDirectory/folder1/subFolder1/level_3/myfile.txt and I can see it in this structure, Is the file is stored in the same structure (the same hierarchy) in the dropbox cloud storage?

When you view your account online you'll see the same folder structure that you create locally, but Dropbox doesn't store files like this on its servers. Each file uploaded to Dropbox is split into 4MB chunks. Those chunks are indexed, hashed and stored in some proprietary manner that we, as end users, never see. We see the exact folder structure that we create.

Dennis Web developer
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Rich, 

How we can know the structure it is stored in their side server?
If I am trying to reorganize my current file management system in a proper way, what will be the best method?
Can I go with the same structure as the following?
myMainDirectory/folder1/subFolder1/level_3/myfile.txt
myMainDirectory/folder1/subFolder1/myfile2.png

myMainDirectory/folder1/subFolder1/myfile3.png

Or can I store all the files under one parent directory, and can store the hierarchy only on the table level to show it in the front end?

And is this the same way the other services like Onedrive, GoogleDrive store the data in their respective servers?

Rich
Super User II

@Dennis Web developer wrote:

How we can know the structure it is stored in their side server?

We can't. It's proprietary information that Dropbox doesn't disclose.

If I am trying to reorganize my current file management system in a proper way, what will be the best method?

That's not something anyone here can answer. How you organize your data is entirely up to you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Dennis Web developer Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?