cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to see the history of the links, messages sent to emails adresses

How to see the history of the links, messages sent to emails adresses

Franck C.3
New member | Level 1

Hi,

I use to forward files to friends and I would like to know the history of the messages forwarded to the persons to have access to the files in my dropbox.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Franck Chomarat

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II

Franck unfortunately that information isnt stored.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Antoine P.2
New member | Level 1

That's a very good question indeed!!

A second one to complement it: does the link remain active for as long as no change is done to the corresponding folder and/or what is the life duration of a shared link?

Mark
Super User II

Links stay active until you delete/move or rename the file OR revoke the link.

You can update the data that people will see when they click on a link by replacing a file with updated versions as long as the name etc. remains constant.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Antoine P.2
New member | Level 1

Thanks Super User!

If the link was shared via the dropbox member portail (after he/she logged in online), this is easy to visualize and manage.

But is there a way to track the links shared via a regular email (i.e. right-clicking a folder which in the dropbox hard disk of one's computer, selecting "share dropbox link", and copy-pasting the same in the body of an email)? And I mean a way other than going through all the emails of course.

Alternatively, is there a "dropbox link whipper" tool available (to take a fresh new start on shared folder/files once in a while)?

Thanks and regards,

Antoine

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

There are two additional ways to 'kill' a link: change the path (rename a upper level folder) or click the 'x' in "LINKS'.

James D.31
New member | Level 2

How do you save links so you have a history to refer to? I share files and folders with various people and sometimes I need to recall just who I sent links to.

Thanks,

Jim

Rich
Super User II

Dropbox does not save information about whom you've sent links to; only the links themselves (on the Links page). If you need to save this information, copy the link and send it using your own email client.

James D.31
New member | Level 2

Rich R. -

Feared that was the case. Is this function  available in Drop-box for business ?

Thanks,

James

Rich
Super User II

No, it's not.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    James D.31 New member | Level 2
    Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
What do Dropbox user levels mean?