cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Improving Search

Improving Search

KevinAtDropbox
Dropbox Staff

Hi everyone!

My name is Kevin and my team also works on improving search functionality so that you can find and retrieve the files you stored in Dropbox when you need them later. We're trying to improve this experience in a bunch of different ways on web, iOS, and Android, including:

• Making search results load faster
  • Making the results more relevant
  • Redesigning the search results page
  • Redesigning the search bar and dropdown
  • More filtering options to drill down

It would really help the team out if we heard more feedback about how and why you use the search functionality. What are the types of things you search for, and when do you prefer searching over browsing through your folders and subfolders. What types of filters do you use? What makes it hard for you today to find files, and how much upfront work are you doing with naming and organizing your files just to be able to retrace your steps later?

2 Replies 2

Mark
Super User II

Hey @KevinAtDropbox 

For me I mainly use search if I cannot remember where I saved a file.... sadly all to frequent an occurrence!! I then try and search based upon what I can remember about the file (name/location/type etc.). 

The biggest issue for me, however, is that the search functionality is just so hit and miss - sometimes it works and seems to search in files and sometimes it just doesnt. There does not seem to be a logic to it

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

KevinAtDropbox
Dropbox Staff

You said it's hit or miss. Can you describe what happens when it misses? Does the search not execute? Do you get irrelevant results? Is it too slow? Say more. Thanks.

Need more support?