cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We recently received a question asking for advice on how to set up a Dropbox account for an elderly family member. This prompted us to think about the different ways we can make Dropbox more accessible in general, learn about it and add your tips right over here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Inadmissible file names

Inadmissible file names

rdvark17
Explorer | Level 3

I'm getting an error message that says "You can't copy the item 'KAR2017009H0312-00332_72dpi 1600px square.jpg' because its name is too long or includes characters that are invalid on the destination volume." I don't understand what's wrong with this name.  45 letters (fewer than 270!) with no special characters, aside from - and _.  Thanks for your help.

8 Replies 8

Re: Inadmissible file names

Rich
Super User II

@rdvark17 wrote:

I don't understand what's wrong with this name.  45 letters (fewer than 270!)

The 260 character limit (technically, 259 with one null character) isn't just for the file's name. It includes the full path to the file starting with the drive letter and ending with the null character at the end. If you have that file located in the following path, the character count would be 104 characters; not 45.

C:\Users\Username\Dropbox\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\Folder4\KAR2017009H0312-00332_72dpi 1600px square.jpg 

Keep in mind that the message you're getting is from Windows and has nothing to do with Dropbox. This is a Windows limitation.

rdvark17
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks, Rich. I should have mentioned that I use a Mac. 104 characters would still still be well under what I understood to be a 270 character limit, no?

rdvark17
Explorer | Level 3
I mean 260.

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox applies the limit across all devices so it doesnt cause issues on connected computers. 

https://help.dropbox.com/organize/file-names

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

rdvark17
Explorer | Level 3

My issue is that I can't upload my files because of the error message, or rather the thing that caused the message to appear. I repeat: no special characters in my filenames, and a maximum of about 120 characters (well below the 260 limit). So what's the problem? If I can't solve it I can't use Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II

@rdvark17 wrote:

So what's the problem? If I can't solve it I can't use Dropbox.

Upload the file to a higher level in your Dropbox, or in the Dropbox root itself, to see if you still get the error.

rdvark17
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Rich, but I'm just a simple photographer; I don't know what "Upload the file to a higher level in your Dropbox, or in the Dropbox root itself" mean. Could you explain?

Best,

Richard

Rich
Super User II

@rdvark17 wrote:

I don't know what "Upload the file to a higher level in your Dropbox, or in the Dropbox root itself" mean. Could you explain?

Upload it to the top level of your Dropbox; not in a subfolder. That shortens the path/full filename length. See if you continue to get the error.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    rdvark17 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?