cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Default file storage now Dropbox instead of my C drive.

Is my Default file storage now Dropbox instead of my C drive.

ruralwannabe
Explorer | Level 3

I thought a backup Dropbox account would be a good idea.  I did not want Dropbox to become my default folder, but since it is, what happens to my files when I run out of room on Dropbox?   I didn't ask for this, and I am very worried that I may lose files if they have been stored in Dropbox but not my pc, and if my dropbox is full, where are these files going?   Have I lost data?   I don't understand the file structure and I did not ask for it to change!!!!!!!!!!   If this were a business instead of a personal account, there would be money on the table, but no, it's just me.....  just my life ..... 

and were is my "Recent Files" folder?

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ruralwannabe, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

As it sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature, certain folders you selected would have moved into the Dropbox folder.

If your Dropbox account runs out of space, nothing will happen to the files on the local computer. However, any changes won't sync to the Dropbox site until it has enough quota to add files.

Regarding the Recent Files folder, could you clarify if this is on the Dropbox site or the local machine?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ruralwannabe
Explorer | Level 3

Hi!   Thank you so much for helping me figure this out.    The Recents folder would have been on my PC, never in my DropBox, which is probably relative to the solution.   It seems to be a courtesy setting on the file explorer, not a drive.   Recent items would be listed in a particular area - it looked like a folder but had no files. Instead, shortcuts with a special menu allow you to open it right from that location. Still, if you wanted to see the file without opening it, there was a menu item "go to the folder," and then you would be directed to the actual file within its folder (where you might need to perform related tasks, I guess).

As I worked through finding my files, I opened some in DropBox, and I liked the interface immensely.   I wouldn't say I like the fact that it was necessary to move my folders.   And it was done without asking.   Was there a fine print somewhere that my dropbox folders would become my primary / default?   That is not my idea of a "backup,"     So now I am torn; I like the Dropbox interface, yet I find some of the company actions impossible.   

I hope that I can now presume that if I discontinue dropbox backup, I will not lose any files.   Is there any possibility that there are files in my Dropbox that are NOT on my PC?    Do you know? 

Thank you for your time!    (are you an employee or just a helpful community member?)   

Chris 

ruralwannabe
Explorer | Level 3

Hi again Jay,   

After I sent this reply (befre this one), it occurred to me that Dropbox is treating every file I have as a Backup and expects that when I want to work in the file, the revisions will be considered "changes" to the backup.    So if I delete files from dropbox, will they also be deleted from my pc?  

I really like the file structure on dropbox and would like to use it to update my pictures folders.   But will these changes then be reflected on my pc?   If so, I could use Dropbox for photos and not for Documents (storing documents only on my PC).    Does that work do you think?

Best regards, 

Chris 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ruralwannabe, keep in mind that the Computer backup feature can't be enabled on its own, without you allowing this to happen. 

If you choose to disable Backup, you can allow for your file paths to revert back to how they were on the device. 

Another thing to note is that when you backup content inside your Dropbox folder (whether that's Backup content, or normal files in your Dropbox folder) they always sync with your Dropbox account online. Therefore, any changes you make locally, will be reflected online, and vice versa.

You can choose which paths you want to sync (no need to sync them all with Dropbox) by accessing the app's preferences, and checking your Backups tab. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    ruralwannabe Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?