cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Keep safe access to documents when another user has closed their account

Keep safe access to documents when another user has closed their account

Paul43
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I want to keep access to some documents a family member has shared with me, before they close their dropbox account.

A family member is about to close their dropbox account, but before they do they wanted me to have some of the documents they had prepared.  They shared it with me; and then changed the ownership so I am now the owner of the document, and they can merely view it.  But it is still a shared document.  So when their account closes:

• will I lose safe access to these files?
  • do I, as the new owner, now need to unshare the documents before their account closes to be safe?

Or am I worrying unnecessarily.  Any help much appreciated.           

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Paul43 

Closing the account wont do anything to the files in yours 🙂

However, if you want to be ultra safe simply move the files out of the shared folder in to your own directories and then they are totally independent of the other account. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Paul43 

Closing the account wont do anything to the files in yours 🙂

However, if you want to be ultra safe simply move the files out of the shared folder in to your own directories and then they are totally independent of the other account. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Paul43,

Since you are owner, your access shouldn't be affected by any other account joining or leaving (including when some of other accounts is going to close). In addition you can unshare the folder or remove particular account, but such thing isn't something you need to do.

Hope this helps.

Paul43
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, that's reassuring and helpful. 

Paul43
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, that's great.  Yes, I can see that will work.  Ta 

Need more support?