cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Tags and Syncing issue list on desktop app

Mac Tags and Syncing issue list on desktop app

Eve17
New member | Level 2

Hello everyone,

I'm new to dropbox and would appreciate some help with these issues:

- When I upload tagged data from my Mac, the colour tags stay with the data until I set them to online only. In the online only setting, the tags cannot be seen in the dropbox desktop folder – neither does any tag information appear when I look into the data details in my dropbox.com.  When I set the data back to local, the tags are back.

I saw there is an older thread regarding this issue, but there still seems to be no fix for it?

As I work with these tags a lot and do not want to keep all files locally available, it would be really helpful to be able to work with the tags in both the local and online only status.

– I did some first uploads to the cloud, and the desktop app showed some synchronisation issues due to file naming in the list that can be accessed by clicking on the account button.

However, when I click on the folders listed, this just takes me to the dropbox folder in general, and when I actively look into the folders listed, there is no indication like the red button with a cross that any of the data could not be uploaded. Also, in the online portal, everything seems to have been uploaded correctly and to be working fine.

So how do I find out which files in particular did create a sync problem if I can't access them by clicking on the go to data button beside the listed folders? 

And would those listed folders/files automatically disappear if I could locate the correct files and rename them?

Or is there no longer a problem if the button takes me nowhere (I saw in the online portal that the system renamed some files by itself)? And if so, how can I remove the listed folders from the sync issue list?

Thank you everyone for your help!

Best,

Eve

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Eve17, welcome to Dropbox and to our Community as well!

Would you mind sending some screenshots over, so we can have a visual of your first issue?

Perhaps a screenshot of how the files appear when local and one of them when they're online-only.

As for the sync issues, have you tried moving those particular files out of the Dropbox folder and back in, to see if that helps?

Thanks in advance.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ziarat
New member | Level 2

In my case, some old tags are working, but I can't tag new folders. The problems only happened for the Dropbox folders; all other folders outside Dropbox can be tagged and untagged. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Ziarat, sorry to hear about that.

In your case, why are you not able to add the tags? Are you getting some kind of error message?

If you close the Dropbox app completely, do you see the same behavior?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Pixeltrauma
New member | Level 2

This is also an issue for me. I would love to be able to work with Mac Finder Tags as usual, having them also synced to my other machines despite being "online-only". It works so fine with offline files, every tag is synced in a second. As soon as you set the file to "online-only", the tags are gone 😞

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Pixeltrauma New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Ziarat New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?