cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to make sure we keep you updated on the ideas that other users have shared here on the Community? Us too! Check them out over here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Re: Mac iCloud Backup vs. Dropbox

Mac iCloud Backup vs. Dropbox

Marti4621
Explorer | Level 3

I have learned that Dropbox is primarily a program for Android. I have, of course, iCloud on my Mac. Not knowing about the Android-centric feature, I purchased the $59.88 backup. Now, neither my iMac is backing up my files and it seems that I should get a refund for my purchase. I have already contacted my CC company who is awaiting notice (was in "pending" status. 

How do I unravel this nightmare I have created? It's important to have my computer completely backed up by tomorrow about 6pm PDT.

Money is not the issue; executing backup appropriately is. Please clarify.

Regards,

Marti

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox works across all systems - I only use Mac's and the Apple eco system and all is fine here. However, Dropbox is not compatible if the files are in iCloud - same as it wouldnt work if they were on OneDrive etc. (note the same is true the other way - files on Dropbox wouldnt work in iCloud). If they are in iCloud you need to have them moved somewhere else I'm afraid 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Marti4621
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Mark, I really appreciate that you commented so quickly.  

The Mac icon is sitting among my folders on Dropbox now although I have not permitted the transfer as I have my folders. I see that iCloud has not backed up my folders and files since I first signed up for Dropbox.

How to fix this? As you may have seen, I ordered the Backup product but alerted my credit card company that I may need to cancel the transaction when it is no longer in the "Pending Transaction" category. 

Will the Mac icon be removed when my purchase is cancelled? Should I then cancel the free version of DropBox to resume the iCloud backup? I could not see on the website how to remove myself as a customer. although, God knows I tried.

Regards and gratitude,

Marti

Megan
Dropboxer

Hi @Marti4621, how are you today?

It's not entirely clear to me if you wish to disable Computer backup, or if you wish to know how to cancel your purchase. Can you clarify, please?

As for the Mac icon, could you also send me a screenshot, so I can have visual? 

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Marti4621
Explorer | Level 3

I'm not used to doing this and can't quickly figure it out. On my list of folders on my Dropbox screen, there now includes MAC in the two lists on the screen. I have not given. Is that clear? 

Marti4621
Explorer | Level 3

I'm not used to doing this and can't quickly figure it out reducing the photo size to send on this email program. On the list of folders on my Dropbox screen, there now exists also "MAC" in both lists on the screen.  Is that clear? 

I want to cancel the purchase of Backup and remove Dropbox if it prevents the Mac using iCloud, which stopped when I began backing up with Dropbox.

Unless I purchase an Android device, I would never need your product. I have always been a Mac user at home, not Android.

Is there an email address to request the refund? I couldn't find it on the site.

Marti

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Marti4621, regarding any billing issues and queries, you can get in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail.

You can do this by logging into your account, clicking this support link, scrolling down to 'Submit a help request', and providing as much info as possible. They'll be able to assist from there on via email.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Poll
What will you use Dropbox for in 2023?
Need more support?