cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Permissions Error

Permissions Error when trying to remove my access from a shared folder I don't own

permissions
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

My basic account has a permissions error. I need someone from Dropbox to look at the backend of the account. Is there any employees of Dropbox that monitors this forum? Failing that, is there a way to contact Dropbox without buying a contract? Otherwise, maybe just deleting and recreating my account might be the way forward?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @permissions, keep in mind that I am here to help as much as I possibly can, and I will continue to do so. 

However, you keep mentioning that you came across a permission error, but I haven't been able to see it on any of the screenshots. It'd be important for me to have visual of this. 

Have you tried using another browser, to check if you notice the same behavior there? 

Also, in your latest screenshot, you're looking at the wrong place. Have you followed these steps? 

• Sign in to dropbox.com.
  • Hover over the name of the folder you'd like to permanently remove and click the share icon (rectangle with an up arrow).
  • Click [x] people have access.
  • Click the dropdown next to your name.
  • Click Remove my access.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @permissions, welcome aboard the Community!

In order to check this further, can you please upload a screenshot of the permissions error that you mention?

I’d like us to have a visual before proceeding with any steps. 

Give me a nudge when you’re ready.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

permissions
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 23.33.22.png

Hello Nancy,

Thank you for your reply.

Here's your screenshot, but there's not really much to show.

I don't have the ability to remove myself from a shared folder that I don't have ownership of. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @permissions,

You always can remove yourself from any shared folder (with or  without ownership). 😉 Make a note that this is not the case if you are talking for a subfolder of shared folder! Participation to a shared folder can be managed for the entire shared folder not to its subparts.

Just push "Share" button. Select the link "Who can access". From dropdown menu, associated to your account in the list there, Select "Remove my access". That's it.

Hope this helps.

permissions
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. I'm not seeing the option when I choose the 'Share' button. I am at the top level of the folder structure.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@permissions wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I'm not seeing the option when I choose the 'Share' button. ...

изображение.png

Hmm... i.e. you can't see "Who can access" As a result of the button push??? 🤷 If so, I can't say anything more.

Add: Another place where you can try the same is your shared folders list. Find your folder (philip & Tina) there and choose "Remove from Dropbox" from ellipsis menu associated with the folder.

Hope this way is easier to you.

permissions
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing that button. I looked for the answer online before posting here. 

I'm thinking that the permissions for my user account is screwed. Hence I think that someone with backend access needs to take a look at it.

But again thanks.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @permissions, do you know which one exactly is the shared folder?

Like Здравко suggested, you might be looking at the wrong folder.

For example, you might be looking at a subfolder, instead of the parent folder, which might be the one shared, or vice versa.

Do you see the shared folder in question here?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

permissions
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

I thought I answered that in the reply to that user.

I am looking at the top level folder. The ability to alter the permission on that folder is not present. Since you appear to be an employee of Dropbox would you be able to either:

1. Look into the permissions on the user account.

2. Escalate to someone that can.

If it's easier (and it's starting to appear that way) then I can simply delete the account.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @permissions, I'm here to help in any way possible, and I definitely appreciate your patience. 

However, in order for us to be able to help, we'd need to have a full visual of what is happening on your end too. 

Would you be able to send me a few screenshots, showing the steps you take on your end, when trying to remove the folder and what you see there? That'll help us identify where the process hinders. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?