cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos from shared (work) folder showing up on iPhone Dropbox Photos

Photos from shared (work) folder showing up on iPhone Dropbox Photos

mccarras
Explorer | Level 4

Hi all,

I went to sync my personal iPhone photos to Dropbox Camera Uploads this morning and was shocked and worried to see that photos from one of the shared folders I belong to are showing up on my iPhone in the Dropbox app! They don't show up in the iPhone Photos app but they are in the Dropbox app when I click Photos. I'm pretty worried that personal and slightly embarrassing photos I took (e.g., my mysterious rash) are somehow getting into the work folder that seems to be sending photos to my phone. 

A quick search of the folder I suspect the shared folder photos came from doesn't show my personal photos--just searching by the photo file name (eg, 5-2-2-23).

Some notes:

Dropbox app version 326.2.2

Camera Uploads is turned on in Dropbox app

iOS version 16.4.1(a), up to date

Dropbox client on MacOS v173.4.6706 and syncing is up to date

MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a)

I hope my coworkers can't now see my photos! And I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out what's going on and how to change it. 

Thanks!

Michelle

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@mccarras wrote:

... was shocked and worried to see that photos from one of the shared folders I belong to are showing up on my iPhone in the Dropbox app!

This is intended. The Photos tab in the app and the Photos page on the Dropbox website displays all of the images in your account, including images from any shared folders in your account. This does not allow other members of those folders to see your images.

mccarras
Explorer | Level 4

This has never happened before, though. I've never seen images from shared folders; that's what worries me.

Mark
Super User II

@mccarras wrote:

This has never happened before, though. I've never seen images from shared folders; that's what worries me.

Thats probably more from luck, or a bug, sadly. As @Rich said it is intended action and one of the reasons I've started using Dropbox less and less - because I need to keep my work (school) life apart from person. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mccarras
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks. Our university wants us using OneDrive, so I guess I'll look into that.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mccarras Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?