cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Not happy with your Spotify Wrapped? Check out how Kevin on the Dropbox team used Paper to make sure he keeps discovering new music over here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Comments

Saving a file from Safari on iPad requires adding an email, so I “share” it with myself

Saving a file from Safari on iPad requires adding an email, so I “share” it with myself

mrdanimal
New member | Level 2

I just want to save a PDF from Safari, so I use the “share” button to send to Dropbox. Every other cloud storage app seems to know that I just want to save a file, but Dropbox requires an email address, so I have to share it with myself. Then I get a notification and an email helpfully informing me of what I just did. Does anyone know, is there a way to simply save a file to my Dropbox? This seems bizarre that they assume you want to send a file to some else.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Saving a file from Safari on iPad requires adding an email, so I “share” it with myself

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @mrdanimal, thanks for posting your question to the Dropbox Community! 

If you open an image on Safari, you should be able to press down on the image, then either "Add to Photos" or "Share".

If you add the file to your device's photos, you should then be able to open the Dropbox app and upload the content there. That's one way to do it. 

However, if you press Share and scroll down to the menu, you should see a Save to Dropbox option. That would allow you to choose the designated path for you to save your content. 

Do you see something different on your end? If so, would you mind sharing a screenshot of the options you see? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Saving a file from Safari on iPad requires adding an email, so I “share” it with myself

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @mrdanimal, thanks for posting your question to the Dropbox Community! 

If you open an image on Safari, you should be able to press down on the image, then either "Add to Photos" or "Share".

If you add the file to your device's photos, you should then be able to open the Dropbox app and upload the content there. That's one way to do it. 

However, if you press Share and scroll down to the menu, you should see a Save to Dropbox option. That would allow you to choose the designated path for you to save your content. 

Do you see something different on your end? If so, would you mind sharing a screenshot of the options you see? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

mrdanimal
New member | Level 2

Thanks! It wasn’t there, but I clicked “Edit Actions” and saw that “Save to Dropbox” was disabled, so I enabled it, and now all is well!

Megan
Dropboxer
Amazing news @mrdanimal!

Give me a nudge if you have any other questions.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropboxer
    mrdanimal New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?