cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting one folder to a different sync setting seems to be changing all folders?

Setting one folder to a different sync setting seems to be changing all folders?

pgran
Explorer | Level 3

I really have 2 issues, but the subject line issue is driving me nuts.

I am trying to set various folders on my laptop to online-only and some to available offline. It seems like when I change one or more folders, all of the folders start to re-sync. I understand this is normal / expected and to just wait it out. However when all of the folders are finished re-syncing, it looks like the change I made to a handful of folders has applied itself to ALL folders. Has anyone else run into this?

Second issue - I use multiple laptops. On one of the laptops, I set the entire Dropbox folder to online-only because it has limited storage capacity. The next day when I opened my Dropbox folder on a completely different laptop, all of those folders had also been changed to online-only. My understanding is that sync settings are machine specific and should not auto-apply to any other machines where the same Dropbox account is installed.

Both machines running Windows 10 latest version of Dropbox. Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @pgran, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Sync settings should only apply to the folder you're applying it to, and their subfolders. Could you clarify this with an example screenshot (while hiding personal info), showing a folder you've made available offline, or online-only, and another folder which changed at the same time?

Also, choosing a sync setting only applies on that machine, and not on others. Again, and example showing the changes would help.

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

pgran
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay and thanks for your reply. I think I figured out what was happening with the first issue!

When right clicking a folder in Windows Explorer, you have to be careful that the folder is actually selected/highlighted first. You think you've selected it but the highlight disappears on right click. In that case, whatever setting is changed applies to the entire Dropbox and not just the folder you thought you were choosing. I feel like a dummy for not realizing that's what happening.

On the second issue, I will have to try and replicate that and report back. Thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

pgran Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?