cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared folder doesn't exist

Shared folder doesn't exist

Cammie K.1
New member | Level 1

I shared a folder with someone outside of my company, which I do quite often with no problems.  This one person is having difficulty accessing the folder.  He gets an error message saying the shared folder doesn't exist.  

10 Replies 10

Christy C.4
New member | Level 1

I'm having this same problem, but I'm on the receiving end. Is it possible that the folder was moved? I'm going see if they can send me a new link.

Rupert
Explorer | Level 4

I have the a similar problem, however I am the folder owner/administrator.

I have a shared account, I have tried to upload files to a shared folser today, and I get this error message repeatedly; "The folder ‘/Everything is in here.’ doesn’t exist."

I have signed out, signed in, refreshed webpage, deleted cache, deleted cookies, and still get the error. 

Where has my folder gone? 

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

Rupert,

First you must "join" the folder, whereupon the folder will appear in your dropbox folder and the files too IF you have enough quota in  your account. This will allow you to read/write/remove files from/to the folder using your OS. Be careful!

Another way to go is to share-a-link-to-a-folder.  This gives read-only priveleges via web page only.

Rupert
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks for your reply,

However you think you misunderstood.

I am the owner of the account and folder, the admin, I shouldn't need to join. I've been able to access the folder before.

Suddenly today it says folder doesn't exist. That's not true, must be an error.

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

Do you have DfB? Is the folder showing in your dropbox-folder (on hard drive)?

Rupert
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply.

I have dropbox on my computer, and the folder does not show there either. 

Im currently reinstalling the app to see if this fixes it. 

I have aksed for support from dropbox and they just sent a link to the FAQ page (great support guys) ,so i really appreciate you taking the time to write me, 

Strangely, I can access the folder from my dropbox app on my phone. It just seems to be unavailoable in the desktop app and website. Most frustrating! 

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
‘/Everything is in here.’ May be an illegal folder name - did you check?

december
New member | Level 2
I'm having the same mystery problem, except that it's not about shared folders. I go to the website and try to look at a folder through the dropbox website interface and get the alarming error message "the folder X doesn't exist". But if I try to access it via the Drobox app it's still accessible — and the actual folders on my laptop seem to be intact, thank God. These are not shared folders, just folders I access myself from iphone and ipad — and it doesn't seem to be all of them, just a random selection. Seriously NOT IMPRESSED. I depend on Dropbox to be stable; if it starts fooling around with my stuff, I'm out of here. Hope this gets figured out soon and stays fixed. FWIW I'm using an older version of Dropbox (13.4.21) on Mac OS 10.6.8, but not in a position to change this any time soon....

Phreshilicious
New member | Level 2
I have a link that won't work either . As soon as Sign in I get a notification at the top of page that says the folder does not exist
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Trinity C.1 Collaborator | Level 9
    Phreshilicious New member | Level 2
    december New member | Level 2
    Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
    Rupert Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?