cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared link loses a full stop

Shared link loses a full stop

Phileas777
New member | Level 2

I was trying to share a video with someone outside of Dropbox. The text of the link I pasted in the email (Gmail) was fine but strangely when you check the address it points to, you can see that a dot is missing between "dropbox" and "com". The other person (of course) gets an error on her end. When she sent a screenshot, that's how I discovered the link was not well formed.

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Phileas777, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We're not experiencing any issues with shared links currently.

Could you clarify exactly how you copied the shared link, step-by-step, and from which device or browser you were using?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Phileas777
New member | Level 2
I don't think it comes from your side. I copied the link from the Dropbox app on my phone. When I pasted it in my email it was fine and well formed. No problem with that. But when the person replied and said the link wasn't working, I checked her screenshot and the email history and discovered the described problem. Do we have servers out there that intentionally remove dots (maybe to avoid phishing websites)?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

There certainly is a possibility of that, though it could be an anti-malware software that could be stripping the dot from the link.

How are they accessing their email, from a site or when it syncs to their local inbox? If it appears normal on the site, but not the downloaded email, then it would be easier to narrow down the issue.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Phileas777 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?