cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Solved, Ubuntu 22.04] Dropbox is always "Connecting..."

[Solved, Ubuntu 22.04] Dropbox is always "Connecting..."

leoheck
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, Dropbox tray icon says it is "Connecting..." forever.

leoheck_4-1653668371680.png

I cannot see the list of the latest modified files as it used to show or use the tray, actually.

I am using Linux Ubuntu 22.04 (but it like that since the 19.10, I suppose)

leoheck_0-1653668483965.png

The currently installed version of Dropbox is 149.4.4568

leoheck_0-1653668047009.png

I also don't have the "Early releases" enabled as you can see in the following screenshot. 

leoheck_1-1653668123706.png

I also tried to remove `.dropbox` and `.dropbox-dist` manually to reinstall them cleanly.

You can check the date and time it was reinstalled here.

leoheck_2-1653668237869.png

73 Replies 73

le_avion
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@leoheck 

First of all I am not your dude. You don't know me, you are not my friend, you didn't earn the right to call me dude.

Second, calling  people having a problem with Dropbox lazy is impolite and arrogant, so learn some manners.

Third, the way you install Dropbox is convoluted and is not the standard way to install packages on Ubuntu or POP OS. You use deb or snap for Ubuntu and deb or flatpak in POP OS. Most users are not admins and don't want to be admins. They want the ability to install packages via the OS package manager.

Voce entende?

leoheck
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Well, if you don't have admin rights, then you should try to get help with your Admin.

Extra info for other users...

After a couple of reboots, Dropbox presented me with a window saying to finish the installation. Then, at this time, the checkbox to start Dropbox with the computer was checked and working. 

brightball
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

For anyone experiencing this on PopOS, I was experiencing the same frustration here so I decided to attempt the headless install, which gave me the following message.

Unable to monitor entire Dropbox folder hierarchy. Please run "echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf; sudo sysctl -p" and restart Dropbox to fix the problem.

You can actually increase it to much higher than 100,000 so I bumped it to 524,288 which VS Code also recommends.

I'm still sitting in "Connecting..." as well, but the headless approach may expose some errors that you weren't seeing before. It's currently running hard and according to `iotop` doing a good bit of work, so we'll see what happens after it runs for a while.

leoheck
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

What was reported in the last reply has nothing to do with this thread. This thing issue has nothing to do with VS or any text editor. This issue has nothing to do with how many files you are being monitored. PLEASE, do not hijack this thread. PLEASE, read the whole thread before posting anything useless. Also, this thread is related to UBUNTU OS. However, if the fix helps people in Pop-OS, then it would be important to know, otherwise DO NOT HIJACK THE THREAD. PLEASE.

alanpmuscat
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

ATTENTION: STILL NOT SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

le_avion
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

They don't care.

Once my subscription is up for renewal I will say goodbye to Dropbox and move to a service that supports Linux fully.

As is I started moving my stuff out because they don't support keeping files on-line only on Linux and my laptop was running out of space because of this.

leoheck
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is bad for you. Dropbox is good and it is fully working on my linux box. The tray is getting better and better.

le_avion
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Good for you but not very helpful. As usual.

alanpmuscat
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You are lucky that Dropbox is still working for you. Just keep in mind that there may come a day that you may have a problem and then you will know what it means not to get support. We need a working solution and not comments.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @le_avion & @alanpmuscat, sorry to jump in, but would it be OK if we send you an email to have a further look internally at this point? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

le_avion Collaborator | Level 8
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    slabadabada New member | Level 2
    alanpmuscat Helpful | Level 6
    MutationDevice Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?