cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split my Dropbox between my internal SSD and an external drive?

Split my Dropbox between my internal SSD and an external drive?

roarkarch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is this possible? Maybe with Dropbox Business?

What I do:

I have a desktop that I render architecture scenes on. It has tons of storage.

But I also have a laptop with limited storage that I set up scenes and work from. I'd like to keep my most-used Dropbox folders on my laptop interal drive for when I'm on the go. But then put my hundreds of gigs of rendering assets on an external drive and have it sync via Dropbox so that it's always up-to-date on my desktop that I actually render on.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
No, that's not possible. Dropbox will only sync to a single location.

View solution in original post

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Few things to remember
-Dropbox do NOT support symlinks so if things go wrong you are on your own
-Disconnecting an external drive while Dropbox is running can cause mass-deletion of data
-Symlinks as above will only sync once upon every boot up/reindex. It wont 'real time' sync.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
No, that's not possible. Dropbox will only sync to a single location.

roarkarch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Gotcha. That stinks. Perhaps I'll look into a second service to only store my assets on and just keep using Dropbox for my more regular files.

BitDropper
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

While this is not a direct Dropbox function, there is a solution to your problem. What you want to do is create a symlink to your external drive. This should do exactly what you want, but use this trick at your own risk since changes on Dropbox’s end could cause unwanted behavior in the future.

I did, however, test it. I did this by setting up the files where they were on a disk other than the C drive that I took offline to see how it would handle it. The file still exists on the Dropbox server and obviously cannot be access from the linked folder. I think the biggest thing to remember here is that if you ever changed files on the external drive when it is not connected to the machine with the symlink, then it will not be backed up on Dropbox.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Few things to remember
-Dropbox do NOT support symlinks so if things go wrong you are on your own
-Disconnecting an external drive while Dropbox is running can cause mass-deletion of data
-Symlinks as above will only sync once upon every boot up/reindex. It wont 'real time' sync.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

roarkarch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What I've decided to do is just install a second SSD in my laptop. It's 1TB and not cheap; but it'll solve all my woes and be the simplest and most-reliable solution. 

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/forums/postpage/category-id/101001000]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

roarkarch New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    BitDropper Collaborator | Level 8
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?