cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sync has stopped working

Sync has stopped working

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, I have used Dropbox since about 2016, and have about 250 files created on my PC.  Updating files on the PC used to automatically update the files on my mobile phone until I replaced it with a new phone recently.  I managed to copy the 250 files (somehow) initially, but they don't ever get updated.  Please keep replies simple, as I am 69 and not very tech savvy.  I don't think that I use the Dropbox app on my PC - Dropbox just comes up alongside my general files and photos.  Any help welcome!

55 Replies 55

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

What app are you using to open the PDF files on the mobile device, the Dropbox app itself, or a third party app?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Jay, yes, I use the Dropbox app on my phone.  Jeff

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try uninstalling the app, rebooting the device, and re-installing it to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dear Jay,

I deleted the app from my phone, turned it off and on again, then reinstalled it from Google Play.  At that point, it was still showing the same out-of-date version of my files.  After reinstalling it, I had to get Dropbox.com/connect on my PC, then 'point the phone at the computer and wait'.  I pointed it at the Dropbox logo on the PC screen, but nothing seemed to be happening.  The current versions of files still haven't come across to my phone.

To clarify, I update my files only on my PC, using the screen which also accesses my documents and pictures, then read the files when I am out and about, on my phone.  No other devices are involved, and I have the basic Dropbox.

Any further suggestions would be welcome!

Many thanks, Jeff

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you certain you're signing into the same account as the one on your main machine?

Does this only occur for PDF files, or any other file you have tried to open?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for your prompt reply, Jay. 

I only have one account.  If I open a file on my phone, it appears as a 'recent activity' on the PC, so there is a connection between the two.

I have just copied to Dropbox a photo as a JPG File and a document as Rich Text Format on the PC, and they haven't appeared on the phone.

I have updated an existing RTF file on the PC, but the phone is still showing the old version of the document.

Jeff

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Jeff047, can you send us some screenshots of what you mentioned, in order for us to have a visual of this?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dear Megan,

Thanks for your reply, and your continued help.

I have no idea how to take screenshots; I have never done that before.  Could you please give me precise instructions, and how do I then send them?

What do you want screenshots of, exactly?

Jeff

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Jeff047

For your PC, you can press Ctrl + PrtScn keys. The entire screen changes to gray including the open menu. Select Mode, or in earlier versions of Windows, select the arrow next to the New button. Select the kind of snip you want, and then select the area of the screen capture that you want to capture.

The screenshot will be copied to your clipboard. You can then paste it directly here, on our Community, when you try to reply back to me. 

A few screenshots of the situation you described above, such as what you see on your phone, versus on your device, would be helpful. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Megan,

I'm a bit confused (not difficult!).  The difference between my PC and my phone is that the PC has up-to-date versions of my files, and the phone has an older version.  I don't see how screenshots wil help.  Can you be more specific, please.  Thanks.

Jeff

Need more support?