cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Syncing icons on the files in the Dropbox folder have changed

Syncing icons on the files in the Dropbox folder have changed

johnrinek
Helpful | Level 6

Hello
The Finder Extension Icons indicating whether a file or folder is Online Only or Available Offline are showing up in my Finder, however, the statuses are incorrect. For instance a folder that contains files that are both Online Only files and Available Offline files is showing a cloud icon, when it should be showing a white circle with a green checkmark and green outline. I think the Finder Extension is confused. Is there a way to reset the Finder Extension so the icons show correctly without changing the Online Only or Available Offline settings that I have for my files/folders? I do not want to change the statuses of my files/folders, I just want the icons to indicate the statuses correctly. Thank you.
Mac 10.14.6
Dropbox 152.4.4880

163 Replies 163

Mantas212
Helpful | Level 6

Is it just me, or is the VOTE option gone? I wanted to send this link to fellow colleagues, but when I open this page there is no option to vote. (see screenshot if necessary).

Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 14.25.59.png

leandrosilva
Collaborator | Level 10

Dropbox support reply.

In other words: "What are you talking about?" or "Can you please waste more of your time so we can be aware of what is happening in the company we supposedly provide customer support?"

2022-09-07 13_34_00-Window.jpg

Mantas212
Helpful | Level 6

Everyone: Extensive multi-page thread discussing this issue, with an easy revert solution, amid multiple screenshots and examples of how this change sucks.

Meanwhile Dropbox: "Could you please send us an example screenshot?"

It's hard not to quit using Dropbox, but it seems that's exactly what Dropbox wants. Smh.

leandrosilva
Collaborator | Level 10

Dropbox "support" continues:

2022-09-07 14_10_06-Window.jpg

cindy t.3
Collaborator | Level 9

They just use form letters for their first few responses -- I got the exact same response (word for word) when I contacted them. And support seems to have no idea what is going on in the forum, it's pretty clear that they aren't being paid to be aware of user complaints and issues raised in that channel.

But crappy initial support seems to be the norm at Dropbox. If something isn't working, it takes a few rounds to get beyond form letters to get someone to actually look at what is going on -- but eventually someone comes up with an answer that addresses and solves the problem.

However, in this case, the only problem Dropbox sees is uncooperative users who don't like the new system, so there's nothing to do but tell us there's nothing wrong!!

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10

Latest help desk person wrote me: "We are aware of what our users have been saying about the new sync icons. Dropbox is always looking for ways to improve for our users. We always want to make things easier and simpler. We'll make sure your feedback is given to the engineering team who look after Dropbox on people's desktop and app. They are always looking for ways to improve the Dropbox experience."

They then marked my help request "solved."

Is this a positive development? "We are aware of what our users have been saying about the new sync icons" (which she said) should have been followed by "we are working around the clock to fix it" (which she didn't say), but maybe at least they are waking up?

NOCU
Helpful | Level 7

A folder’s sync icon will depend on what files are contained within that folder.

For example:

• If a folder contains at least 1 online-only file then the folder’s sync icon will be online-only NOCU_0-1662745673744.png
  • If a folder contains zero online-only files and at least 1 available file then its sync icon will be the available icon NOCU_1-1662745673745.png
  • If a folder contains only available offline files then its sync icon will be available offline NOCU_2-1662745673746.png

//

Exactly! Where is the icon that indicates that there are 'only online files' inside the folder? Because that's the one we need to see at one glance which folder need to be actually put entirely to 'online only' to make some space on the computer really quick - when the notifications starts to rain in that there is no more space left on the hard drive. Come on, i can't imagine that a developer reading this, couldn't think of that this change would make it all so much more complex.

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10

@NOCU sorry for redundancy but please VOTE for the idea, which is trying to get Dropbox to bring back the old icons which actually worked. Here is the thread to up-vote please:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Can-we-have-the-old-syncing-icons-back/m-p/62...

cindy t.3
Collaborator | Level 9

Yeah, I got the same message and took it to mean the old system wasn't coming back. And, since selective sync has always been a little buggy, it seemed like it was time to look elsewhere. With my Dropbox subscription up for renewal soon, I needed to make a decision now.

So, after testing several options, I've purchased a sync.com subscription and have begun transferring files.

For the most part sync.com works almost exactly like Dropbox, although I can't tell you yet if syncs faster or slower, but it seems fast. Here are the differences I've found so far:

• Negative: You can only selectively sync at the folder level on sync.com, unlike Dropbox which lets you do so at the file level.
  • Negative: Best practice for archiving files offline involves using the web interface and storing files in the "Vault" instead of just select syncing them and you don't see them in your regular directory. (It seems that you can just make the files online only, but they recommend against that. I'll probably test it at some point.)
  • Same, but different: Instead of a cloud icon for folders that contain both online and off-line only files, you get a green sync check mark on the file. (So both now code mixed files as if they are either all on the cloud (dropbox) or all available (sync.com)  Same effect -- you can't tell at a glance that a folder is mixed. But, for those of us managing a laptop with very limited file space, knowing there are some files available and taking up space somewhere in a folder is better than thinking there aren't any hidden in there.)
  • Positive: The level of storage I was using is cheaper on sync.com
  • Positive: Way better security
  • Positive: Way better data privacy (sync.com is based in Canada and data is handled in accordance with stricter Canadian laws)
  • Positive: If you have a question, they actually have a pop-up form to send to support. So at least there's an illusion that they care about their customers.

I will have to restructure a few folders to make this work smoothly, but I was going to have to do that with Dropbox since the icon change. And having the mixed folders show up as available works a lot better for me than seeing a cloud if even one folder is only in the cloud.

I just wanted to give you all a head-up on what I found out. I did test a couple of other options, including pCloud, but most automated too many things to fit my needs. I'll let you know if I discover some fatal flaw with sync.com and feel free to respond if you have a question.  But otherwise I'm signing off here. Great folks on this forum and I wish you all well. And I hope Dropbox finally starts listening to you.

NOCU
Helpful | Level 7

with pleasure, thanks for all efforts!

Need more support?