cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The app is filling up my system drive, but not uploading to Dropbox

The app is filling up my system drive, but not uploading to Dropbox

Barney D.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Help please.  Long time drag and drop Dropbox user without the app, but finding it grindingly slow and now constantly crashing.

I installed the app, but deliberately without syncing.  I need a big chunk of space short term (max three months) but I don't want to sync huge swathes of my storage drives (D and E).

When I started using the app to upload files, it didn't send it to the Dropbox cloud (where I expected it to go), it just dumped the files on my C drive (system), and filled it up.

There's no on-screen app manager separate from my standard Explorer window(s) ... which surely there should be, and I can still only actually upload files to my Dropbox cloud space using drag and drop.

I've now uninstalled the app for a second time.  Can anyone help me overcome these problems please?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Barney D. 

You seem to be a tad confused as to how Dropbox works I'm afraid. 

Dropbox is just a regular folder on your machine like every single other one - meaning it uses space and is managed/controlled by your OS. The only difference is that the Dropbox program than syncs that folder to the cloud. There is no way (via the software), or ever has been actually, to upload directly to Dropbox on a computer without using quota. The ONLY way would be to upload via the website. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Barney D. 

You seem to be a tad confused as to how Dropbox works I'm afraid. 

Dropbox is just a regular folder on your machine like every single other one - meaning it uses space and is managed/controlled by your OS. The only difference is that the Dropbox program than syncs that folder to the cloud. There is no way (via the software), or ever has been actually, to upload directly to Dropbox on a computer without using quota. The ONLY way would be to upload via the website. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Barney D.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you.  I'll stick to drag and drop and pray.

Barney D.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Having said even the drag and drop is missing a substantial number of files.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Have you given drag/drop time to move (THAT bit is done by the computer itself) and then to upload? The upload takes time and is dependent upon your internet speed.

Barney D.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It's not that it is missing files at the end of the batch; it's missing random files right through the batch.

Down 30 Mbps, up 5 Mbps.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Barney D., thanks for reaching out to Dropbox Community!

Would you mind clarifying exactly how you're using the Dropbox application?

You said you're using drag & drop, but at the same time, you turned off syncing? Or is syncing on now?

And if so, what's the sync status of the app? You can see that if you hover over the Dropbox icon in your system tray with your mouse.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Barney D.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks for the message. Sync is off. I want to decide what to upload and when. I use drag and drop, Windows 10 64-bit to my Dropbox space. During that transfer random files are missed, even when I leave the computer to do it with me inactive.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

But are you allowing syncing to finish before you check which files have transferred?

And what about the sync status, please? That's where you can see if syncing has completed.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Barney D.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have sync turned off as I wish to control what uploads and from which directories.  This is a problem that has only recently started.  I regularly upload as many as 2000 image files at once with never more than the odd one failing.  The current situation is ridiculous with as many as 30% failing dotted through the complete set.  What's more I cannot see any way of telling Dropbox to retry just those it missed.  I have to spend time going through the two lists to try again.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Barney D. Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?