cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upload to Dropbox From URL?

Upload to Dropbox From URL?

New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is it possible to upload a file to dropbox given a general download URL?  I want to keep a backup of a file in Dropbox, but the file is large enough (1.2 GB) and my network speed is bad enough (9311/766 Kbps) that either I'll be waiting forever for the upload to finish (because of automatically limited uploads) or else I'll clog up the entire bandwidth with the upload;  the machine that the file is initially saved on is not "on all the time" so 'just wait for the speed-limited upload' isn't a viable option. 

If I could save the contents of the URL directly to my dropbox and then sync as-needed it would be a non-issue, but I don't see a built-in way to do that (I would rather not use browser-specific extensions if possible).  Did I just miss something obvious, or is this a known problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@737703 wrote:

given a publicly visible download url, how do I add that file to my dropbox without first downloading it to any of my devices?

Dropbox has no such function. You'll need to use a third-party extension or service to accomplish that.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@737703 wrote:

Is it possible to upload a file to dropbox given a general download URL?

What, exactly, do you mean?

If I could save the contents of the URL directly to my dropbox and then sync as-needed it would be a non-issue ...

I'm not following how you're expecting this to work. Can you explain it in detail?

New member | Level 2
Go to solution

given a publicly visible download url (such as https://github.com/raekuul/MMExt-Scripts/archive/refs/heads/main.zip), how do I add that file to my dropbox without first downloading it to any of my devices?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@737703 wrote:

given a publicly visible download url, how do I add that file to my dropbox without first downloading it to any of my devices?

Dropbox has no such function. You'll need to use a third-party extension or service to accomplish that.

Need more support?