cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading direct to Dropbox server via FTP

Uploading direct to Dropbox server via FTP

John B.106
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Is it possible to attain a server address in order to make a very large upload via FTP (40gb+)?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

No, I'm afraid Dropbox does not support FTP or any method of uploading data other than via the clients, the website or the API (over HTTP/HTTPS).

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

No, I'm afraid Dropbox does not support FTP or any method of uploading data other than via the clients, the website or the API (over HTTP/HTTPS).

John B.106
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Richard, can you suggest another service that does?

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

John, Dropbox upload is more reliable and often faster than FTP because DB uploads in 5MB chunks and if an upload is interupted only the last chunk is repeated whereas with FTP it usually has to start over.

David C.211
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I think the issue is more of access to the correct protocols.  For example, I have a Foscam camera which can do uploads of snapshots but it only supports FTP. It would be great to be able to point it at my DropBox account, but clearly that's not possible at this point.

Jeff C.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am also looking for a way to ftp to my dropbox.  In my case i need to ftp my backup file directly from the hosting company.  The hosting company provides an ftp setup but not a dropbox client interface.  Is there any option in the future to provide ftp access?  Otherwise i am faced with ftp do my local pc then dropbox client to upload to dropbox...not a very good option.

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Could you  use  File Request ???

Jeff C.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It does not look like File Request will work.  The host only gives two basic options for handling the backup; domain home (root) directory or FTP.  

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Im afraid FTP isnt something that Dropbox wants to do.

LARRY V.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I haven't tried it, but the documentation says it works with dropbox.. may be a workaround to get ftp setup for dropbox.

https://storagemadeeasy.com/CloudFTP/

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

itzsnitz New member | Level 2
    Snahbah Explorer | Level 3
    Alexander W.11 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
What do Dropbox user levels mean?