cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploads hang on my PC after an upgrade

Uploads hang on my PC after an upgrade

davedp
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I upgraded my PC and moved my drives but ever since I have this upload issue. Anything large (over 1GB) gets to the end and just hangs.

Tried with the app and web browser(s) but always the same. Smaller files work ok. Still works fine on my lap top too via chrome. 

I have 2TB DB storage space with well over half free so I know it is something on my PC that is stopping it finalizing?

(DB v180.4.4912)

Any suggestions I can look at would be great 🙂

From a Win11 frustrated 

7 Replies 7

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @davedp, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Regarding uploading through our website, have you tried doing so from a different browser or a private browsing window?

As for the Dropbox application, can you give us a bit more info?

For example, what happens when you drag and drop a file into your Dropbox folder?

Make sure to also check out the sync status of the app on the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Thanks in advance!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

davedp
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your response..

As I have not sync folders now does this have any affect on how it works?

Regarding uploading through our website, have you tried doing so from a different browser or a private browsing window?

Yes, from three different browsers

As for the Dropbox application, can you give us a bit more info?

Not really. I downloaded the Dropbox desktop app and it put an icon in my task bar and I click it. What do you need?

For example, what happens when you drag and drop a file into your Dropbox folder?

Same as if I select files.

Make sure to also check out the sync status of the app on the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

What do I look for?  I do not sync just upload so do not see any additional info.

Calvin2DBX
Dropbox Staff

Hi @davedp,

Just chipping in here with some clarification for what you need to check, Dave.

When you click the tiny black and white Dropbox icon, near the time/date in the corner of your computer's Desktop, do you get a new window open up?

There should be some status info there, with a bar at the bottom that says "Your files are up to date", "Syncing [filename]", "Syncing [x] files", or "Syncing paused until [x]".

What should happen, is when you drag your stuff to the Dropbox folder in Windows (not the website), the app sees that, and says "Syncing [x} files", for example, and shows "Your files are up to date" when it's finished. 

A screenshot of what that says would be great!

If the status isn't changing at all after you put the things you want to upload into the Dropbox folder, let me know!

Calvin
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

davedp
Explorer | Level 3

Hi - thanks for helping.

I do not use sync as I keep things just in the cloud and not on my pc so I just use the app world icon to open dropbox in my browser and then just drag or add directly there. It's strange really that my toolbar app does not reflect much of what I save to dropbox. Small files (less than 1GB are no problem??)

Dump.jpg

 Over laid the pop up window on this. I have been waiting almost an hour for the last 4 second finish!

Calvin2DBX
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot, Dave, that helps see what's going wrong there.

You can use the app that way, to get to a web portal, but all the uploading will be handled by a browser all the same.

The app can take the heavy lifting off from the browser instead if you select folders to reside as "online" (they won't use your computer's space).

If you do that, you can just move or drag the things you want to upload to the desired locations from the folder icon, instead of the web icon, in the app, and see if they come up faster that way. 

That method should certainly be more stable as it won't run out of cache as can easily happen when a web browser's involved (from the web icon.)

Let me know if that works for you!

Calvin
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

davedp
Explorer | Level 3

I created a new folder and had it sync to dropbox and that worked. My large file uploaded fine.

Is there a way of having that folder upload but not retain a copy or do I need to move it each time to a non sync folder?

I did not want to keep copies on my drive if it's available on my dropbox cloud.

Thanks

Calvin2DBX
Dropbox Staff

Glad that did the trick!

That's a great question, and there are 2 ways to go about it:

1) Create a "Uploads" folder inside your computer's Dropbox folder, so you only need that one enabled. You'd then move the files to the correct places as and when they land on the web.

2) If space is the issue, you can set the default for new files to be "online" and to save space automatically. That way, you can still see and manage the folders in Windows, while not having them take up your hard disk space.

Calvin
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Calvin2DBX Dropbox Staff
    davedp Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?