cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens after Windows XP support ends?

What happens after Windows XP support ends?

Marsha K.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm not sure I understand how drop box will function or not after doom day in August. My computer is a Windows XP. I cannot afford a new computer at this time. Does the August date mean that I will not be able to access my files that are not synced to my computer? Will I be able to download files? My desktop icon will no longer function?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

You can continue to use the website with a supported browser, but the syncing client will cease to work - anything updated on another computer or anything you are sharing through a shared folder will not update on that computer, and any file you add, edit or delete on that computer will not update on the website.

Your only options are to upgrade or to use the website with a compatible browser.  Thats it.

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

You can continue to use the website with a supported browser, but the syncing client will cease to work - anything updated on another computer or anything you are sharing through a shared folder will not update on that computer, and any file you add, edit or delete on that computer will not update on the website.

Your only options are to upgrade or to use the website with a compatible browser.  Thats it.

K.M. R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Your only options are to upgrade or to use the website with a compatible browser.

No, we also have the option of deciding not to give Dropbox our business.  It's called "voting with our feet" and it has caused many a company in the past to regret certain business decisions.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Or not I'm afraid. They will have worked the numbers out and unless you are a paying customer then leaving will save them cash as you are not storing data. 

That and less OS's to support = less development costs = less staff = more ££$$€€

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

SPH L.
Not applicable
Go to solution

NOT A HAPPY XP USER HERE...

Greg L.23
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I don't see the point to drop XP as you can't update XP via Microsoft anymore then there are not going to be any support costs for Dropbox, Please just leave it alone..

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Its precisely because Microsoft are not updating XP that its becoming harder and more expensive to support - in development terms, XP is diverging from the standard Windows environment with each update to Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10, to the point where building a client that supports XP as well as the others takes an unrepresentative amount of time and effort. That point has been passed and the decision to drop XP support has been made.

William T P.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

On my Windows 10 desktop, I must run a VMWare workstation running Windows XP so that my beloved desktop publishing program Ventura Publisher 10 will work.  Of course, I can access Dropbox via my Windows 10 operating system, but I'd rather access it from XP for my own convenience. Dropbox should not further enable and support Microsoft's irresponsible development of Windows such that the newer iterations of the program will not run superior programs such as Ventura Publisher (despite its abandonment by Corel) that are needed by professionals like me.

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

William, surely your problem is with Corel, who abandoned the product you want to use?  If they hadn't abandoned it, it would have been updated to work on Windows 10...

William T P.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Yes, a problem is with Corel, but the general acceptance, including Dropbox's acceptance, of Microsoft's evolution of the Windows OS so as to create obsolescence should be unacceptable and discouraged. Why make Dropbox useless to XP users?.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

studoc64 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Christian W.15 Not applicable
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?