cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens after Windows XP support ends?

What happens after Windows XP support ends?

Marsha K.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm not sure I understand how drop box will function or not after doom day in August. My computer is a Windows XP. I cannot afford a new computer at this time. Does the August date mean that I will not be able to access my files that are not synced to my computer? Will I be able to download files? My desktop icon will no longer function?

25 Replies 25

K.M. R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Actually, every so often, it will still do a Microsoft update...  I'm not sure what's up with that... Apparently Microsoft still has a few updates for XP???

The Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, which apparently works across all versions of WIndows, will still download an updated version once per month.  Once downloaded and installed, it runs exactly once, in the background, and then stays quiet until the next update.

Since it isn't a pest and there might be an infinitesimal chance it will catch something Avast and MalwareBytes don't, I just let it do its thing every month.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

But please tell the gods at Dropbox that you worship about this thread.

They already know. Its been discussed at length today between us. In fact they also knew about the ones in April as well. But, nothing changed. And, as they did with other OS's (and no doubt will in the future) it will happen. 

They've done the same on OSx and iOS which stopped loads of iPhone users being able to install it. 

As I said on the other thread the issue is financial and security. They will already know how many paying users there are on XP and thus how much they will lose. The issue is that so many people take everything for free (which is their right, given), but then dont like being told that its taken away. If its such a superior product that is desperately needed to be used maybe more should have paid? That way maybe it wouldn't have stopped. 

Now, to summarise. Syncing will stop. No if's or buts. So if people can find a suitable alternative app that still connects to Dropbox now maybe a good time to use it. If not and you are a paying user and dont want to continue again, now maybe a good time to cancel so you dont pay for what you dont need. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Christian W.15
Not applicable
Go to solution

@Mark Mc

> They already know. Its been discussed at length today between us. In fact they also knew about the ones in April as well.

Are they aware that they failed to inform their users by not sending out emails that actually reached them in time? Many people got their first notification email on Aug 1.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I think it's time that we have just one discussion going on regarding this. I'm closing this topic. You can continue the discussion in the following thread.

studoc64
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm a paying customer........

studoc64
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think you just described planned obsolescence.......

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

studoc64 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Christian W.15 Not applicable
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?